Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
we have an msi wind netbook with linux suse 10 on it and we are having a hard time figuring out anything pretty much. we are MS users with our ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

newbie need major help

we have an msi wind netbook with linux suse 10 on it and we are having a hard time figuring out anything pretty much. we are MS users with our other computers, and we just can't seem to get our heads around how to download a number of things on the linux operating system.

my daughter wants something for downloading songs, she previously used limewire and ares. we tried to follow directions for limewire which is suppose to be compatible but we had no luck atall.

also we need to know about printers, cameras and ipods, this is the computer my daughter is using and these are all the things she needs it for. if we just plug them in will they detect and get drivers or are we gonna have issues? what are our options so she can use these things.

we feel really stuck with this. we regret getting the msi wind now becuase linux was the only option we were given with it where we bought it...i now wish i had paid a little more for something else and gotten ms operating system on it....there are things i really do like about linux, but its just too hard to figure out the downloads.

Give Suse a try and you won't regret it.

1)Limewire: Go to Lime Wire Thank You for Downloading LimeWire and download the file. Extract it to a folder(you should be given the option "extract here" when you right click). On the newly created folder, there is a file "runLime.sh". Double click it. It will ask you what to do(run, display, run in terminal)Select run and it will start.

2)iPod: Just plug it and it should appear on the desktop (or the taskbar). If you open it you can view and copy files like in a usb-stick. You can play music from it and manage its playlists using Amarok.
    I think it is pre-installed, if it is not, you can install it from YAST, the system control center. Open YAST and go to software management.There search for amarok (with lower case "a").
    Installing things through YAST is the right way, because it gets the software from a trusted source, called "repository" and you avoid viruses and malware.

3)Many printers work out of the box, without installing extra drivers. Plug it to see if it works and post again if it doesn't.

Just Joined!
    With USB attached devices and modern Linux systems, the best approach is just plug them in and see if they work without doing anything else. You might need special software for some things, but it is actually very rare. That is how USB has been designed to work.

For your cameras, you have 2 cases. The first case is for built in memory (pictures stored in the camera directly and not on a card). The cameras will usually have a standard USB connector port, so as I said above, try plugging it in. For separate memory cards, if the cards you have fit in the computer, then they can be directly read by the computer. Again, there is a standard memory card format (which is old style Windows/MS-DOS FAT32) which all digital cameras use. There will be a folder where the actual pictures are located. You can copy those to the directly to your computer. There will usually be separate folders for Video and Sound files if your camera supports them, and again, you can copy those to your computer also.

The only advice you should keep in mind is that you should only FORMAT your cards in the camera. Formatting the cards in your computer may or may not give an entirely compatible result. This is because sometimes the camera manufacturer decides to add something specific to the format to support a special feature in the camera. But I have not heard of a case where the card could not be read in a Linux computer.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Also, I forgot to say that all JPEG pictures will be directly usable by your computer, but RAW formats might be a problem. I have not looked into that situation lately.

If you have video capability, that can be a problem because a lot of the cameras use unusual video format and rely on conversion programs to make more standard MPEG and MPEG4 files. But there is no general answer for that problem. You need to know what your specific camera is doing. Supporting all the various video file formats is one of the weakest areas for Linux in general. It might be possible to use programs supplied by camera makers under WINE, but I have never tried it.

Just Joined!
    thanks for the replies, i will try all these things tomorrow and hopefully will have more luck. i will let you know how it goes.

in addition to the issues already mentioned she since also tried to get her webcam which is built in to turn on and we couldn't even find it anywhere in the system for turning it on, nor in pidgin to turn on...we are stuck on that now aswell lol

chat again tomorrow, and thanks thus far.

Just Joined!
    problem ; this link is for a paid version of limewire, we were looking for the free version......?

Quote Originally Posted by L4Linux View Post
    Give Suse a try and you won't regret it.

1)Limewire: Go to Lime Wire Thank You for Downloading LimeWire and download the file. Extract it to a folder(you should be given the option "extract here" when you right click). On the newly created folder, there is a file "runLime.sh". Double click it. It will ask you what to do(run, display, run in terminal)Select run and it will start.

2)iPod: Just plug it and it should appear on the desktop (or the taskbar). If you open it you can view and copy files like in a usb-stick. You can play music from it and manage its playlists using Amarok.
    I think it is pre-installed, if it is not, you can install it from YAST, the system control center. Open YAST and go to software management.There search for amarok (with lower case "a").
    Installing things through YAST is the right way, because it gets the software from a trusted source, called "repository" and you avoid viruses and malware.

3)Many printers work out of the box, without installing extra drivers. Plug it to see if it works and post again if it doesn't.

The link is correct, I checked it again. It just has those huge red buttons to promote the paid version. If the download does not automatically, then click where it says "Your download will begin automatically in a few seconds. If it doesn't, you can download the file here."

Just Joined!
    i got limewire dl after, but i get as far as extraction, i click run on the file u named in the directions but nothing happens.......

got amarok dl and install, was easy thru yast found that good.

Quote Originally Posted by cynthia View Post
    problem ; this link is for a paid version of limewire, we were looking for the free version......?

You might need to mark the file executable. Right click the file and set permission to execute.

Just Joined!
    sorry folks but, my take on linux is nothing like linux to make a computer savy person with windows user- feel dumb. i tried and tried, i had way too much trouble. i surrendered, i went back to the store today and exchanged the computer for one with windows .... thanks for the attempts to help me figure it out tho.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast