Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I am currently attempting to install Opensuse 11.1 however I am running into a few problems along the way. Every time it gets to the installation screen and it gives ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

problems installing 11.1

I am currently attempting to install Opensuse 11.1 however I am running into a few problems along the way. Every time it gets to the installation screen and it gives me the error as follows

Failure occurred during the following action: setting type of partition /dev/sda5 to 82
    System error code was -1012

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

First tell use exactly what you are trying to do. Do you plan to Dual boot Linux/Windows? Did you adjust exiting partitions to allow space for the install?

More info please

Just Joined!

same problem with opensuse 11.1 64-bit on Thinkpad X61s

exactly the same problem here and I noticed by googling it does not appear isolated.

I was able to install opensuse 11.1 (internet istallation) without problems on my desktop,
    but I get exactly the same error message trying to install Opensuse 11.1 64-bit onto my
    notebook (Lenovo Thinkpad X61s, 4GB RAM, loaded with Vista 64-bit, latest Bios update).

I am trying to dual-boot with Vista 64.

When checking the firmware I also get the message "memory hole between 15 and 16 mb. As I am a newbie, I have a feeling this is related, but don't understand really what the problem could be and how to resolve it.

I tried to install via "automatic" configuration, so I did not fiddle around with the partition manager because that goes beyond my knowledge

Linux Guru
    The link below to the Opensuse site discusses this problem and has a solution that worked for the individual who posted. It was Opensuse 10.2 but still worth reading.

Re: [opensuse] Formatting error (-1012) when installing Opensuse 10.2

You can get some information on the "memory hole" problem through Google and I would suggest you review your computer manual with particular reference to the BIOS as you may find info on it there. Also, the manufacturer's website.

Just Joined!

Solution found

Thanks for your reply. I have not used it for my solution (well I am still installing but as formatting worked now, I am sure it will now finish installing without further problems), but it helped me think about where the problem could be.

I had two virtual partitions and deleted one (this was probably not necessary)
    I also deleted the hidden partition (recovery partition) of my thinkpad X61s).

The problem could have been caused by either of the two above, but my best guess is it must have been the hidden partition.

Quite frustrating for me as a Linux novice was that I have followed slavishly all recommended install settings and have not changed anything in the hope this would give the best possible outcome. I have to assume that this is a Yast-bug and hope it is fixed so that other even less experienced newbies will not give up on opensuse out of frustration.

As I have noticed that the same problem occurs all over the place with notebooks some hints to newbies like me:
    diskpart from Vista shows if there is a hidden partition, but you cannot delete it with diskpart
    Here is a link to an excellent "how to delete the hidden partition":
    Guide: How to Delete Hidden Recovery Partition on Vista - Notebook Forums and Laptop Discussion

It is best to use a real Partition manager like gparted or Partition Magic rather then the one built int a Windows OS.

This is not really a Linux problem it is a basic 101 partition problem. You could have run into the same problem if you where trying to install any two OS's. There is a lot of subtlety in working with partitions. No program can anticipate all the weirdness people build into partitioning schemes. Notebooks seem to be especially prone to odd schemes.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    It is best to use a real Partition manager like gparted or Partition Magic rather then the one built int a Windows OS.

This is not really a Linux problem it is a basic 101 partition problem. You could have run into the same problem if you where trying to install any two OS's. . .
    No, actually this time, there really are problems with bugs. There are bug reports open specifically regarding the GNOME LiveCD installer Partitioner and Grub installer. The Grub installer problem is "fixable" if you know enough about Grub, but the Partitioner is dangerous when used with some computers, and particularly if the installation is "advanced", like a dual boot layout. It can trash an existing Vista or XP system, so it should not be attempted.

The NET installer and the KDE4 LiveCD have generally been more stable. The situation with the DVD is unclear so far. It seems to be fairly stable, but it is safer to try and install using an existing partition system.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool01 View Post
    No, actually this time, there really are problems with bugs. There are bug reports open specifically regarding the GNOME LiveCD installer Partitioner and Grub installer. The Grub installer problem is "fixable" if you know enough about Grub, but the Partitioner is dangerous when used with some computers, and particularly if the installation is "advanced", like a dual boot layout. It can trash an existing Vista or XP system, so it should not be attempted.

The NET installer and the KDE4 LiveCD have generally been more stable. The situation with the DVD is unclear so far. It seems to be fairly stable, but it is safer to try and install using an existing partition system.
    My Thinkpad installtion (64-bit Net installer) works perfectly now. I have to agree that this must be a bug. I understand potential partition problems but it looks very much that every notbeook owner with Vista installed (and most likely leaving the hidden recovery partition intact) is going to face the same problem of not being able to install opensuse 11.1 if he wants to have dual boot. I think Yast should be able to address this problem, otherwise any newbie would quite and go back to windows immediately.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool01 View Post
    . . . .
    According to "swerdna" the Partitioner problem is not really "trashing" the Windows installation either. Apparently, if you read this posting, it will give you enough information to fix it. I do not know enough about the situation to confirm or deny this, but so far, nobody is saying that he is wrong, so. . . .

"http://www.swerdna.net.au/linhowtoboot.html"

Just Joined!

I think the problem worked itself out

Well it seemed that it was a problem with the net install of 64 because i tried 32 and it worked I also download both of the dvd's and those worked flawlessly as well. It wasn't an integrity problem, the md5 sums were the first things I checked and after I got linux up I double checked. So I am thinking it was a hardware problem between the 64 bit net install and my computer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast