Find the answer to your Linux question:
trying to install suSE 11.0 to Macbook 10.5 after running the "INSTALLATION" at the expert partitioner screen I get the following message. Yast2 ERROR Yast2 needs a root partition to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Yast 32 Error when installing SuSE

trying to install suSE 11.0 to Macbook 10.5 after running the "INSTALLATION" at the expert partitioner screen I get the following message.

Yast2 ERROR
    Yast2 needs a root partition to install
    Assign the root mount point "/" to a partition.

Can anybody send back written instructions on how to do this from the GUI screenfrom the Expert tab.

I have rEFit installed and following those installation instructions is telling to create this expert partition, to be honest I thought it would have been easier to be honest.

Is there a easy to follow book I should purchase to get started.

Thanks Struggling

Did you

1) free up space on the drive for the new Linux partitions? You need a min of 25-30 gig for a typical Desktop installation. Resize and position existing partitions give yourself 30 gig free space on the drive. Use a good partition manager such as gparted. But there may also be some in the Apple world.

2) at the expert partitioning section did you define your partitions and tell the partitioner which to mount as / (root)? IIR the mount point is defined at the bottom right of each partition screen. For the root partition the mount point would be / for home it would be /home etc. Swap is not mounted but it must be defined as a swap type of partition.

You need at least two partitions one for swap and one for root (mounted as /). Normally Suse includes a third for home mounted as /home. It is good to have a home partition since it makes reinstalling and upgrading much easier. You can reinstall or upgrade and not effect your personal settings and data by telling the installer not to format that partition but just mount it as /home.

The swap should be twice the RAM but need not exceed 1 gig for most Desktops.

Root (/) is where Linux and all shared apps go 6 gig is an absolute min for Suse. I'd recommend 15-20 if you plan to serious use Suse.

Home is where you will store personal data and is totally up to you I'd say 5 Gig min. If you plan to store multimedia then much more.

Just Joined!
    thanks for your info, but I just dont have a understanding on correct partitioning.
    I was told it was quite easy from the suSE disc but was to difficult for me on Macbook. However it created and worked fine on a XP machine.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close