Find the answer to your Linux question:
... i was a windows user , but my first try with SUSE it seems to be an alien world, I'm 47 , and i have no PC school , ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

help needed with sound and installing apps

... i was a windows user , but my first try with SUSE it seems to be an alien world, I'm 47 , and i have no PC school , all I learn by my self ... but I have to think if I choose to give a treasure of money, or ... this is alien job for some of us .... How can i install a program , how can i make to hear sounds , .... very heavy duty .... can anyone encourage me ? Best regards.

Most programs can be installed via a program called Yast. You will find it in the menu Yast (administration settings). Most hardware and system configuration can be done in Yast.

Yast-Software-Software Administration is were you will install update or remove most programs.

For sound be sure that you have enabled the sound system,

Yast-Hardware-Sound

If this does not work then open a console and type

su
    then the root password
    this will make you root temporarily
    then
    alsaconf

If this does not work then let us know what version of Suse and what the sound hardware is. If you don't know what sound card

then as root in a console type

lpci

this will list all the pci devices post the result and we can be of further help

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Most programs can be installed via a program called Yast. You will find it in the menu Yast (administration settings). Most hardware and system configuration can be done in Yast.

Yast-Software-Software Administration is were you will install update or remove most programs.

For sound be sure that you have enabled the sound system,

Yast-Hardware-Sound

If this does not work then open a console and type

su
    then the root password
    this will make you root temporarily
    then
    alsaconf

If this does not work then let us know what version of Suse and what the sound hardware is. If you don't know what sound card

then as root in a console type

lpci

this will list all the pci devices post the result and we can be of further help
    Thanks a lot !

Windows user too Ex-Windows User of 22yrs., I'd say Yes The "Sound" is the worst to configuire, then the GPU lol

Anyway, I'd let, PulseAudio do all since that is what it seems to me the direction there going, PulseAudio is like a "Audio Manager" but better.

Also, The New "Banshee" is Garbage !

I use Audacity !

It is Foolproof ! for playing mp3's, Because of the way it does stuff, heh

pulse audio only seems too work on gnome though i struggled to get it too work on kde even then it only worked for a short while alsaconf is still the best

Just Joined!
    thanks a lot for spending time with me , my pc i saved form trash , moterboard asus p5b-se, pentium dual core 1600 mhz, asus-nvidia 8600 gt video, 2g ram , and os suse 11.1