Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by timalan you know its been a long time since i installed linux and i never installed it with vista... when i get to the partitioning, i heard ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by timalan View Post
    you know its been a long time since i installed linux and i never installed it with vista...
    when i get to the partitioning, i heard people lose vista boot, how do you setup the partition and the swap and all that?
    thanks you all....
    timalan
    P.S. i'm sorry i don't know how to explain what i mean, i hope you know what i mean....
    i seen articles that tell you to make a boot disk, but problem is i don't have an A:\ Drive...
    and i used to use lilo but a friend said grub is better...
    other things i read is people wasn't able to boot into vista and had to restore there boot partition, how do you restore that incase something happens like that?
    thanks...
    timalan

forjamari: Super Grub Disk: Lista de ficheros

this is always handy to have around when installing linux or windows, it lets you put grub or the windows bootloader back into the mbr in case of emergency, and it also allows you to boot them directly as well

when i get to the partitioning, i heard people lose vista boot
    Microsoft Windows operating systems (Vista, XP, 2000, 98, etc) use a little piece of your harddrive at the very beginning called the Master Boot Record. It's basically just a sector reserved for telling the computer what OS to boot.

The software that resides in the Master Boot Record is known as a bootloader. During the process of installing Linux it will overwrite the Windows bootloader with one of its own. This will not make you lose your ability to boot into Vista; it will simply be one option among several that you choose at boot time. If something goes wrong and you do not see the option to boot to Vista, there are simple, safe ways to restore this.

how do you setup the partition and the swap and all that?
    If you use a relatively popular distribution such as Ubuntu, Fedora or openSuSE you don't have to set any of this up by yourself. The installer should give you suggestions on what it thinks is the best setup and just let you go from there.

If you're particularly worried about partitioning, boot sectors and whatnot I suggest you investigate the option of Wubi. This lets you install a version of Ubuntu Linux directly into your Vista operating system that can be used and later removed just like any other Vista program using the Add/Remove control panel. No partitioning is necessary.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    you know its been a long time since i installed linux and i never installed it with vista...
    when i get to the partitioning, i heard people lose vista boot, how do you setup the partition and the swap and all that?
    thanks you all....
    timalan
    P.S. i'm sorry i don't know how to explain what i mean, i hope you know what i mean....
    hi techieMoe, well i insta,,ed that wusi and all there was, was a bunch of pig latin on the screen like when you open up a word document that doesn't open up that kind of file it has a bunch of characters on the screen, well that is what wusi was...
    i installed Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit and the online is working...
    now my problem is when i reboot it stops at the boot windows having me to choose between windows and ubuntu aka wusi, how do i remove that??
    thanks alot..
    timalan
    P.S. I'm going to install suse soon...

now my problem is when i reboot it stops at the boot windows having me to choose between windows and ubuntu aka wusi, how do i remove that??
    thanks alot..
    timalan
    P.S. I'm going to install suse soon...
    You should be able to completely remove Wubi and its bootloader by removing it from your Add/Remove Programs menu in Vista. Just uninstall it like any other application, and reboot.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe View Post
    You should be able to completely remove Wubi and its bootloader by removing it from your Add/Remove Programs menu in Vista. Just uninstall it like any other application, and reboot.
    it wasn't in the add and remove and i tried it from the dir and still there
    thanks
    timalan

it wasn't in the add and remove and i tried it from the dir and still there
    thanks
    timalan
    Ok. Can you clarify that statement? What did you "try from the directory"? The uninstall program?
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Ok. Can you clarify that statement? What did you "try from the directory"? The uninstall program?
    nevermind....lol
    i thought maybe if i install suse it would rewrite over it and i choose what they suggested and it formatted my whole hard drive...
    its been so long since i installed linux i forgot how to partition the drive...
    so it got rid of wubi alright...lol
    suse did reconized my wife's wireless and my cable modem so i am online now...
    how good is wine to run windows?
    thanks again...
    timalan

how good is wine to run windows?
    thanks again...
    timalan
    WINE does not run Windows; it runs Windows applications. If you want to emulate MS Windows you'll need virtual machine software such as VirtualBox. Performance will be reasonable as long as all you're doing is 2D, non-game-related work. Anything that requires a lot of system resources won't run terribly well (if at all) in a virtual machine.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    WINE does not run Windows; it runs Windows applications. If you want to emulate MS Windows you'll need virtual machine software such as VirtualBox. Performance will be reasonable as long as all you're doing is 2D, non-game-related work. Anything that requires a lot of system resources won't run terribly well (if at all) in a virtual machine.
    i'm sorry i meant windows applications...
    i will check into Virtual box...
    thanks
    timalan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2