Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
i know my system is 64bit cos i installed vista ultimate 64bit but had problems getting online so i went back to 32bit, i think i could have got it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question can you install suse 11.1 64bit and dual boot with windows home premium vista 32bit

i know my system is 64bit cos i installed vista ultimate 64bit but had problems getting online so i went back to 32bit, i think i could have got it to work but my wife wanted to get online on her laptop so i had to go back to 32bit...
    thanks alot for your help..
    timalan

can you install suse 11.1 64bit and dual boot with windows home premium vista 32bit?
    Yes. The operating systems are mostly oblivious to each other, so it doesn't matter if one is 32-bit and the other is 64-bit.

On an unrelated note, your network problems in Vista probably had nothing to do with 32-bit vs 64-bit.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by timalan View Post
    i know my system is 64bit cos i installed vista ultimate 64bit but had problems getting online so i went back to 32bit, i think i could have got it to work but my wife wanted to get online on her laptop so i had to go back to 32bit...
    thanks alot for your help..
    timalan
    thank you very much techieMoe
    timalan

Just Joined!
    thank you very much techieMoe
    timalan
    i know this is unrelated to Linux, but do you have any solution on how to fix the network problem cos i like to reinstall the ultimate version...
    thanks again techieMoe and i'm sorry if this was wrong posting that here but i just thought i ask, if it is i'm sorry and please remove this post...
    timalan

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe View Post
    Yes. The operating systems are mostly oblivious to each other, so it doesn't matter if one is 32-bit and the other is 64-bit.

On an unrelated note, your network problems in Vista probably had nothing to do with 32-bit vs 64-bit.
    I agree, I suspect it was either a driver or firewall issue that was causing the issue. I think MS went overboard with protections in Vista.
    Dell Precision T7400 Workstation
    Dual 3.33Ghz Xeon "Harpertown" Core
    16GB PC5300 DDR2 ECC CL5
    BFG GeForce GTX 285 OC 2GB
    X-Fi Platinum
    HP w2408 24" Monitor
    Dual Boot:openSUSE 11.2/Win 7 Ultimate

Just Joined!
    thank you LondoJowo...
    I agree with you...
    they went to far...
    thanks again...
    maybe i'll give it another try sometime...
    timalan

i know this is unrelated to Linux, but do you have any solution on how to fix the network problem cos i like to reinstall the ultimate version...
    I had issues with both my wife's (Home Premium 32-bit) and my (Ultimate 64-bit) installs of Vista on our home network. We ended up having to reset our router a couple of times. After that, it seemed to work. Your mileage may vary.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe View Post
    I had issues with both my wife's (Home Premium 32-bit) and my (Ultimate 64-bit) installs of Vista on our home network. We ended up having to reset our router a couple of times. After that, it seemed to work. Your mileage may vary.
    thanks techieMoe...
    i have a smc wireless modem , how do you reset them?
    thanks again, i really appreciate your help....
    timalan

I'd figure your problems in 64-bit vista would be due to lack of driver availability for the 64-bit architecture, usually to reset a modem or router you just unplug it from power for 30-60 seconds, then plug back in

Just Joined!
    thanks techieMoe...
    i have a smc wireless modem , how do you reset them?
    thanks again, i really appreciate your help....
    timalan
    you know its been a long time since i installed linux and i never installed it with vista...
    when i get to the partitioning, i heard people lose vista boot, how do you setup the partition and the swap and all that?
    thanks you all....
    timalan
    P.S. i'm sorry i don't know how to explain what i mean, i hope you know what i mean....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast