Find the answer to your Linux question:
Recently my computer was infected by several viruses and my brother cleaned it up and installed SuSe for me. He also put windows xp back on my system for our ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy Cannot get printer installed with SuSe and Windows applications

Recently my computer was infected by several viruses and my brother cleaned it up and installed SuSe for me. He also put windows xp back on my system for our children. I am having a terrible time installing our Dell 924 printer. I have it installed for windows, but cannot get it to print for my Linux system. What am I doing wrong? Can anyone give me some direction?

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

If it's the Dell 924 (all-in-one), it's a "paperweight" when it comes to printing under Linux according to OpenPrinting.org:

OpenPrinting database - Printer: Dell Photo AIO Printer 924 (All In One)

You can take a look around there for your exact model to see what info they have that might help.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Thank you. Thats what I was afraid of. I will check it out.

oz
    forum.guy
    There's always a chance that someone has gotten it to work but just not reported their success or how they achieved it there, so maybe someone will chime in here with better news for you.
    oz

Not Likely

Dell printers are for the most part rebranded Lexmarks. While I have not ever had any success getting a Dell USB printer running under Linux, this little tidbit may be the key in getting it to work in the future.

Honestly, even real Lexmarks aren't well supported in Linux (some of the more popular models do work). My advice would be to pick up a cheap popular brand printer, my favorites are HP and Canon. I picked up an HP AIO in a thrift store for $10, cleaned it up, and it worked pretty good.

Epsons are also well supported in Linux, I just have issues with not being able to change the heads (if they clog, good luck. I went through three of them, excellent print quality, but don't last. You should watch for this on some other makes now too).

Good luck, hope all works well for you.

Linux User
    I have always found hp well supported out the box for both windows and linux and although they cost more, they last. My old hp4l still prints fine.
    Most other brands don't support or recognise linux the way hp does.