Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello All, I have installed Suse 11 and my problem is that i cannot get the internet on my browser. My DSL connection is set by a router which servers ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Network Problem in SUSE 11.0

Hello All, I have installed Suse 11 and my problem is that i cannot get the internet on my browser. My DSL connection is set by a router which servers as a DHCP and has autologin to my ISP. I can use the net in my UBUNTU, Fedora or Xp/200 Box but not in Suse 11. Now for the interesting part I can ping my Router from terminal and login thru Firefox and it shows connected . I can ping Google, Yahoo or any other site and I am getting the Reply from these server's. More when i edit the network setting then it connect momentarily and downloads 2-3 file and the says that the connection is not available but in the terminal its pinging the site. Strange it may seem and I am also not very old in using Linux but I like it. The main problem is that Firefox cant receive the data from the net, but the system is connected and pinging the network and as well as my target site, viz., Google, or Yahoo.

Regards and Thanks.

ashutinz

Linux User
    As a first check:
    Go to yast > net devices and check that you have the correct name server and gateway addresses set - Gateway is in the routing tab, and should be the same address as the router. This could be the problem, since you can resolve the names.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for assisting. Yes i have done all that prior to receiving your post, also tried once more. Its the same. Now I tried to open google with its ip 202.xx.xx.xx address rather than google.com and it opened fast and i tried to search something which also came fast. When i clicked on one result that site wont open up. Moreover updating starts working and after downloading 2-3 may be 4 file its says site no longer valid as connection is not there. even the suse site opened but it took an eternity and then crash. it takes long time and then replies that the site is unavailable. Its pings all the sites fine from terminal but mozilla and updates are not comming.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Sounds like you dns is not configured.

Linux User
    As gogalthorp says, check the dns.
    You know the ipaddress of google, so reboot the computer to clear the resolver cache and then ping the ipaddres of google.
    Now do nslookup Google.
    This should return google's ipaddress.
    If it doesn't, you have a nameserver problem and you need to add a namserver address to your config. It could be that you are running a ficxed ipddrees or that your dhcp server is not passing the nameserver address.
    Usually you can set the nameserver to the dhcp/router address or if that doesn't work, your isp usually supplies the addresses in their help pages.
    Since you have windows running, nslookup in windows should supply a nameserver address which you can use.