Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello everyone. I'm pretty new with linux and am stuck. I'm trying to write a C program that will work with a Parallax RFID card reader. I saw a similar ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installation of a driver

Hello everyone. I'm pretty new with linux and am stuck. I'm trying to write a C program that will work with a Parallax RFID card reader. I saw a similar problem on a post in the Mandriva section:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/man...ial-cable.html

This is pretty similar, but I have a bit more information and I'm running OpenSUSE 11.0.

I have downloaded the drivers and when trying to do the make part of the install I'm getting a stream of errors. Most are probably related to one of the first which is:

gcc -Wall -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -I/lib/modules/2.6.25.18-0.2-default/build/include -D__SMP__ -DSMP -DMODVERSIONS -include /lib/modules/2.6.25.18-0.2-default/build/include/linux/modversions.h -I/usr/src/linux-2.6.25.18-0.2-default/drivers/usb/serial/-O -c -o ftdi_sio.o ftdi_sio.c
    cc1: error: /lib/modules/2.6.25.18-0.2-default/build/include/linux/modversions.h: No such file or directory

It's looking for the file modversions.h, but all I have in that directory is:

autoconf.h utsrelease.h version.h

Should that file be in there? Is it really looking for version.h?

Another thing to note. The instructions in the readme file say:

1.This driver was adapted from the 2.4.32 kernel to support both the 2232C and 232R chip
    2.There is no need to follow this procedure if you want 232R chip supprt. The 232BM driver will
    be sufficient.Changes made to the driver for the 232R chip are purly cosmetic (plug/unplug will appear as a 232R chip in
    the kernel log).

I am using the 232R chip so technically I don't have to install the drivers, but I don't know how to verify that I have the 232BM driver (where it is, how to tell if it's there and working). I'm running the kernel version 2.6.25.18-0.2.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch.

gabe

your error is that the compiler is looking for the headers for your kernel but it isn't finding them, you need to install them with yast