Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just installed Suse 11.0 on my Compaq notebook with KDE4 . My notebook spec is : Processor AMD turion(tm) 64 2.00GHz Memory (RAM) 2495MB VGA NVDIA GeForce Go 6150. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy notebook using Suse 11.0 goes freeze everytime

I just installed Suse 11.0 on my Compaq notebook with KDE4 .

My notebook spec is :
    Processor AMD turion(tm) 64 2.00GHz
    Memory (RAM) 2495MB
    VGA NVDIA GeForce Go 6150.

I thought Suse 11.0 will work just fine but things turned out and after I use my pc for like 5 or 10 mins then my notebook goes freeze. I can't do anything and it's just like that, hanged. Is Suse 11.0 KDE4 incompitable with my type of notebook or something ?? I've made dual boot on the notebook with Window Vista and Suse 11.0 . Window works fine. I've an another notebook running with Suse 11.0 KDE3 dual boot with Window XP. That sort of problem never happen to that notebook. Is it because i'm using KDE4 instead of KDE3 or something like that ? I'm confused but I dun wanna reformat my hard drive again. Please any help would be much appericated. Thanks everyone in advance.

Possibly power management related? Try booting failsafe option and see if it still locks up within a half hour or so. If it works, we can work on making permanent changes.

Linux User
    Also, try installing gnome and see if you get the same problems. If they are cured, go to kde3.5 or gnome instead.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'm thinking of down grade from KDE4 to KDE 3.5 or something but how i can do that ? I dunno if there's a way 2 do it or not. I'm an absolute noob, if anyone doesn't mind please tell me how 2 do it . Thanks a lot and looking forward to receiving great news from you guys.

Linux User
    Probably the easiest way is to run yast from a console login. Open a terminal and type su and root password.
    Now type init 3.
    This will give you a black screen with a login prompt. Login as root and then run yast.
    Thsi will give you the non graphic installer. use the tab keys to navigate and instead of search use patterns. Deselect kde4 and select kde3.5.
    When all is done, exit yast and run init 5. If all goes well kde should start at login.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the tips. I've done down grading from KDE4 to KDE3. However, the problem is still there. After I'm using my notebook for like 5mins or 10, it still goes freeze. I've no idea. Any suggestion would be much appericated. Thanks you all.