Find the answer to your Linux question:
Just upgraded two computers to 11.1, and I've encountered unexpected problems on each. The first computer was upgraded from OpenSuse 10.3. That computer was running perfectly fine until the upgrade. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

OpenSUSE 11.1 Upgrade issues

Just upgraded two computers to 11.1, and I've encountered unexpected problems on each.

The first computer was upgraded from OpenSuse 10.3. That computer was running perfectly fine until the upgrade. Now, it still runs fine, but I've encountered three really annoying problems:

1. When I launch Konsole, the terminal window is filled with odd characters and doesn't display properly. It's essentially impossible to read anything on it.

2. When running applications under Wine, the menu and dialog box fonts are distorted and virtually unreadable.

(I strongly suspect that these two problems are related, and my first thought was that the video driver was bad, but it seems to be fine from what I can tell.)

3. The remote share on the Windows box, which mounted fine at startup before, refuses to mount now. I have been mounting by using the following line in fstab:

//192.168.1.0/S /mnt/S-Drive smbfs rw,user_1,username="Winders User",password=fubar,_netdev 0 0

I can mount it manually in Konsole (even though I can't see what I'm typing; see problem 1 above!), but it won't mount automatically anymore on boot-up.

As for the second computer . . . it was running OpenSuse 11.0. Following the upgrade, everything seems to work fine, but I can't get any sound out of the darn thing. I've tried to check the configuration, and everything *looks* up to snuff to me, but I'm new enough to linux that maybe I'm missing something obvious.

An ideas on any of these problems?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and make some guesses.

I think computer 1 is suffering from a corrupted or missing font. I'd (re)install the MS core fonts through YaST. I'd also grab winetools and run through that, might help with the Wine dialog font (the defaults are too small).

What happens if you change the font used in Konsole?

I don't know about mounting samba shares on boot, sorry.

Computer 2 with no sound: what settings and configurations have you checked? I assume YaST shows the sound card shows as detected and configured. kMix shows master and pcm outputs are on, sufficient volume, and not muted?? Physical connections are all in the right place? Is the alsa daemon running? Also, what are you using to try to make sound? Sometimes the KDE Configuration panel's test sound button doesn't work right.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by D-cat View Post
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and make some guesses.

I think computer 1 is suffering from a corrupted or missing font. I'd (re)install the MS core fonts through YaST. I'd also grab winetools and run through that, might help with the Wine dialog font (the defaults are too small).
    I did try updating the core fonts in winetools, and it had no effect. I was able to get the Wine configuration to work correctly by bringing up the font size to an ungodly resolution (149), which makes it readable but make the buttons at the bottom inaccessible. Anything below 149 renders it unreadable again. And, this only works for the winecfg dialog; all of the actual Windows apps menus are garbled.

Not sure how to get the MS core fonts through YaST. I'm pretty sure I did it a while back, but not sure what rep they were in or what they were called.

Anyway, I did get it to work now, and here's the question that did it:

What happens if you change the font used in Konsole?
    Changing the fonts in Konsole to Lucida Console fixed the problem in Konsole. So, I tried changing the menu fonts under Desktop Integration to the same thing, and voila! Like a charm! You are a bloody genius!

I don't know about mounting samba shares on boot, sorry.
    It seems very few people do! Maybe someone else will come along with a quick fix for this one, too.

Computer 2 with no sound: what settings and configurations have you checked? I assume YaST shows the sound card shows as detected and configured. kMix shows master and pcm outputs are on, sufficient volume, and not muted?? Physical connections are all in the right place? Is the alsa daemon running? Also, what are you using to try to make sound? Sometimes the KDE Configuration panel's test sound button doesn't work right.
    That one I'll have to get back to you on; it's my friend's computer, so I don't have access to it right now.

Thanks for the help!

For the sound try running

alasconf

as root
    also be certain the user is a member of the sound group if the card is a sound
    blaster

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    For the sound try running

alasconf

as root
    also be certain the user is a member of the sound group if the card is a sound
    blaster
    I did try alsaconf and I got the error that Suse had never heard of such a thing. (Tried it both as root and as the user.)

I did not check on the sound blaster group, though. Very good suggestion.

Now . . . anyone got ideas on mounting the network drive? My wife is very upset because she can only access her files now if she ventures into my dungeon in the basement . . .

You must be running KDE4 I think it uses Pulse instead of alsa
    Sorry have no idea how to configure Pulse. You might try installing alsa and see if you can get it to work that way.

My guess on the Net connection is that the SMB has not loaded when the fstab is run. You might try putting the mount in a KDE startup script.

Just Joined!
    You must be running KDE4 I think it uses Pulse instead of alsa
    Sorry have no idea how to configure Pulse. You might try installing alsa and see if you can get it to work that way.
    Now that you mention it, I believe he is running KDE 4 (although configured to look/feel more like KDE 3.5).

My guess on the Net connection is that the SMB has not loaded when the fstab is run. You might try putting the mount in a KDE startup script.
    Tried that, too. I get an error that "only root can do that".

You could setup sudo for the mount command In Yast-Security & Users-SUDO

then in the script

sudo "mount........."