Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello everyone... I have just installed suse 11.1, but I don't have any idea how to create a broadband connection which has a username and password. I don't want to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation internet problem in suse 11.1

hello everyone...
    I have just installed suse 11.1, but I don't have any idea how to create a broadband connection which has a username and password. I don't want to configure my ADSL modem to connect automatically, but I want to use it as bridge..

Set things like you would in Windows. This is done in Yast

Just Joined!

Exclamation thanks for reply....

In yast 2 / network / DSL

I have added a new dsl connection.. entered my ISP name, user name and password

and I use PPPoE which is used in my connection...

now how can i connect...?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    One of the "upgrades" SuSE did which I didn't like was changing the connection manager. SuSE 10 used kInternet, which is still an option and indeed my favorite which I still use. Chosen that path, connecting is literally a single click on the applet icon. Disconnecting is just as easy.

I think the current method is kNetworkManager or something like that. I didn't like it... Enough of the rant, but it seems I'm not alone.

This guide has a nice graphical step by step on connecting via pppoe over DSL:
    Bryan technical world: Using pppoe connect to internet (kde or gnome) on openSUSE

Just Joined!
    that was useful
    I am new to Linux, and have the same problem
    According to the above instructions I found the place to enter my user name and password,
    but my Internet provider requires also to enter the Service name, on MS Windows its done from the properties of the internet connection (the General Tab), but on SuSE 11.1, i couldn't find the right spot to enter the service name, respectively, I could not log in to my IProvider only with my user name and pass.

Could it be similar to the Domain or smth, and where I can find these fields to fill in.
    Can it be done from the console and how?

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.
    Regards )

Edit: I am with KDE Desctop,
    Found smth that could be useful, but its in Gnome Desctop
    http://lifestory.moqin.com/wp-conten...gnome_ppp4.jpg