Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have some rather pricy video editing software for windows. I just installed suse 11.1 on a second computer, is there adaptive software or will I have to buy specifically ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

software adaptation?

I have some rather pricy video editing software for windows. I just installed suse 11.1 on a second computer, is there adaptive software or will I have to buy specifically for linux?

"Adapting" windows software to run on Linux is really basic (as in limited). There are some things out there (like wine) that'll try, but usually something that's more complicated than a card game is going to have at minimum quirky issues to just plain refusing to run.

Assuming you're running SuSE Linux, you should add a Packman repository. Available for free use are tons of software including for video editing. May I suggest kino ? Add repositories in Yast - Software - Installation Sources

I forgot to add, there is another option if your computer is sufficiently capable... virtualization. Using something like VirtualBox, you can run a Windows installation under Linux, and your Windows software in the virtual Windows installation. You can establish common directories through VirtualBox's net interface where you can share files between Linux and Windows.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by xzimppledink View Post
    I have some rather pricy video editing software for windows. I just installed suse 11.1 on a second computer, is there adaptive software or will I have to buy specifically for linux?
    If you'd like to look at some Linux software options/equivalents (mostly freeware), you can browse some of them here:

Linux App Finder | Helping find the Linux apps you need

The table of equivalents / replacements / analogs of Windows software in Linux. (Official site of the table)

Of course, setting up a dual boot system is always another option that works for lots of users.

Have fun with it.
    oz

Just Joined!

increible

wow, no idea there was so much freeware. It'll take a long time to evaluate the products. many thanks guys.