Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Just installed Suse on my wife's Acer aspire 3100 because Vista ran like crap. It installed via the internet, but now it can't find a connection. I don't know much ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

New Internet Install but now there's no Internet

Just installed Suse on my wife's Acer aspire 3100 because Vista ran like crap.

It installed via the internet, but now it can't find a connection. I don't know much about linux. No idea what to set the various settings to... I have cable internet that runs through a Lynksys cable router befsr41.

Anything you can suggest to help, with extra steps described cause I don't know jack!

Thanks

You need to go to Yast (it is in the menu) And configure the network card settings.
    Yast-Network Devices

Basically it the the same as in windows. It would help to know what net card/chip is being used.

Open a terminal window
    type
    su
    then the root password (note the password does not echo)
    to become root
    then
    lspci
    this will list all PCI devices tell us the ethernet info

Just Joined!

Internet trouble.

Hi,
    I was did as you asked and got a long list.

Two issues arise, I can't just copy and past it, no internet, and I can't seem to find my usb drive when I plug it in... does suse support USB thumb drives?

I also can't find the cd drive for that matter?

There are two lines that address the ethernet

they are as follows

6:01.0 ethernet controller Realtek semiconductor ltd RTL-8139/8139c/8139c+ rev10

6:02.0 network controller broadcom corportation BCM 4318 airforce one 54g 802.11g wireless lan controller rev02

Our home network is wired, but wireless working as well would make her very happy.

Thanks

Linux Guru
    Best to use YaST to do this as gogalthorp suggested. You didn't indicate which version of Suse you have (?) but you should be able to find YaST by clicking on the little green icon where the Start button usually is in windows. Explore and look for YaST. When you find it, you will have an option on the left "network devices', click that and you will get more options in the right window. Follow instructions.

Suse does support usb drives.

Linux User
    If your linksys is set up as a dhcp server, you should have an ipaddress. If this is the case, your network may well be working. Can you ping a known ipaddress on your network? (try pinging the linksys)
    If you get a reply, the network is working but you need to go to Yast>network devices and set the gatway for your card to (presumably) the linksys ipaddress.
    Another check is to type /sbin/ifconfig in a terminal and see if your network card has an ip address.
    If it doesn't have a valid address, and you don't have dhcp server, you will have to manually assign it an ipaddress. Also in the net devices.
    Your usb drive is in /media. It should bring up a new window when you plug it in.

Just Joined!
    Hi all,

Okay, so it's the newest version... direct install over internet.

I plug the usb drive in and nothing happens. I look in media, nothing there. CD drive is not there either.

I have toyed around with yast some. I switched a network setting to start some service on boot up, which was suggested on another site, but it needs to install something to set it up, of course it can't, because I can't connect to the internet.

Also, I have no idea how to ping something...
    But I can check my ip on me laptop...
    I think I can even run the software for my router and look at the settings there.

I read that sometimes you need to reinstall SUSE to get it to work.

Thanks

Just Joined!
    Hi,
    Here's an update.

I'm on the internet using my wifes laptop!
    I played with settings in the network settings area.

It's still not right though.

When I enter an address and hit enter, it fails automatically.
    When I hit refresh, it succeeds.

Every time. It's usable, just annoying and silly.

I still can not get my usb thumb drive to appear, or the cd rom. but I can now post anything requested.

not knowing what I'm doing, I try the "change lots of settings and hope for the best" troubleshooting method.

Thanks

Linux Guru
    Since you have internet (sometimes), you may be able to get the wireless to work. Who knows, it may even work better than the wired connection.

Your wireless is a Broadcom device. Linux has a native driver for it (b43legacy), but it needs firmware installed before it will work. In Suse, all you should need to do is run this command.
    Code:
    sudo /usr/sbin/install_bcm43xx_firmware
    This should download and install the firmware. I would then reboot. You can connect to wireless networks using NetworkManager, which can be found in the taskbar next to the date/time.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by saintpaul View Post
    Hi,
    Here's an update.

I'm on the internet using my wifes laptop!
    I played with settings in the network settings area.

It's still not right though.

When I enter an address and hit enter, it fails automatically.
    When I hit refresh, it succeeds.

Every time. It's usable, just annoying and silly.

I still can not get my usb thumb drive to appear, or the cd rom. but I can now post anything requested.

not knowing what I'm doing, I try the "change lots of settings and hope for the best" troubleshooting method.

Thanks
    It seems like you are trying to run both wireless and wired networks. You can't have both at the same time. To enter the commands I suggested, open a terminal window and type them in.
    Regarding usb drive - if it's a usb stick it should automount. if it's a hdd, it may be drawing too much power for the usb port.
    Look at Yast>System>Partitioner and see if it appears.

Just Joined!
    Hi all,
    thanks for the replies.

After a reboot, I no longer have internet.

I am not trying to run wireless and wired at the same time.

I have a wired network in my house.

The coffee shops have wireless networks.

My wife often does her school work at a coffee shop, and would need to connect while there.

Obviously, she needs to connect to the wired network at home.

I am trying to get a usb thumb drive to work. It's a 1g generic brand drive. It does not automount.

The dvd drive does not appear to be mounted either.

When I tweaked settings in the Network settings area, it tries to install something... I think its called smpppp or something like that. It can't, cause it says I am not connected.

Even when, for the short period that I could get some internet, it would not connect to install new software or update anything, saying I was offline.

Clearly, since I was navigating online, I was not offline.

It does seem that I need to install something, but I can not! I can not get files to the computer without the thumb drive working, the internet working, or the dvd working.

If someone can help me fix the thumb drive issue, which must be an issue with recognizing usb devices, then I can download stuff on my laptop and install on hers, if it can work that way...

I would download the full install disks, however, I am battling a full hard drive on my own laptop, and do not have 2g available for the download.

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast