Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I have a new HP netbook and it has internal wifi ability. What I want to be able to do is go into an area that I know has a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Auto Detection of WIFI for my Suse 10

I have a new HP netbook and it has internal wifi ability. What I want to be able to do is go into an area that I know has a Wifi (Whatabuger, etc). Then let my netbook identify the wifi (that it is there and what it is called) so that I can log nto the internet and catch up on my mail when traveling. How do I do that?

Linux Guru
    You should use NetworkManager to handle all network connections. It can be found in the taskbar next to the date/time. When you click on it, it should show all available wired/wireless networks.

If your wireless is not working, then that is an other problem that we can work on.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!

Open NetworkManager

I open the program NetworkManager, but the blocks are all blank.
    I know that I am in range of my home wireless network now (other systems working), but there is nothing in the blocks under the heading Wireless Networks.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    We will have to start from the beginning, to first make sure that the wireless is working correctly. Please read this stickied post, and provide the information that it says to find.

Wireless Setup - Start Here
    Last edited by waterhead; 01-20-2009 at 08:31 PM.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!
    We need to realy start at the beginning. I red the post you suggested, but I do not know how to get to a command level to ender those commands. I hardware information, I see that the wireles LAN is a Broadcom BCM4310 USB Controller (eth1)

Open a console window may be Konsole if you use KDE.

Just Joined!
    New problem. I changed my password, but the new one is not what the computer remembered. Now i cm locked out. What now?

Linux Guru
    Login as the user root, using the root password. Then find the users and groups section (YaST?) and change the password for the user.

If you actually have a Broadcom wireless, it will not work correctly until you install firmware for it. If you have a working wired internet connection, run this command from the terminal.
    Code:
    sudo /usr/sbin/install_bcm43xx_firmware
    This should download and install the firmware.

Also you installed 10 this OS is like 5 years old the current version is 11.1

Linux Guru
    OOPS! I missed that!

You can't install the firmware on Suse 10 with the command that I listed. You need a newer distro, otherwise you will have a lot of problems.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast