Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have 2 things I am looking at. I have suse 11.0 now and am looking at 11.1 but I do not like KDE4 as much as I do 3 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

update server and 11.0 vs 11.1

I have 2 things I am looking at.

I have suse 11.0 now and am looking at 11.1 but I do not like KDE4 as much as I do 3 or 3.5. I prefer KDE over Gnome just for personal reasons.

Is going to 11.1 better than 11.0?
    Am I better off 32 bit instead of 64 or is there better support now? ( flash, etc )

Also, I teach a tech class and I want to limit the amount of traffic a little by letting one machine get new updates and then copying those updates to my server for the rest of the lab to pull from. Are the new updates kept on the machine in /var or somewhere? Can they be set to be left on the machine for this purpose?

Where could I look for help?

Thanks

kumado

I can (in general terms) answer a couple of those.

I can't answer 11.0 vs. 11.1. I haven't used both, sorry.

In the 32 vs 64 bit debate, I'd suggest for now sticking with 32 bit, especially if you have multiple machines running the same install. While 64 bit is supposedly faster, there are still some conflict issues with some extras packages to be ironed out. 32 bit will maintain compatibility, which IMO trumps performance.

AFA update packages, yes, by you can tell yast to not delete downloaded packages, but again, using these for other computers is another trick all together. If you have several computers to maintain on your network, you may be better off to rsync an update server for your distro only (this is what I do). This will give you a mirror copy of all the update packages and the all important yast description files that make it easy to use the packages on other computers. You can then either set up a web server to that directory for network updating or burn a DVD image to use on the other computers.

Thanks D-cat.

I have used both to some degree I am not fond of KDE 4. It is too hard to get some of the things I want set up. It's pretty and all but not what I want. I hope they build the option back in to not have widgets and such as a installation selection. I like KDE over Gnome, but that is also just me.

rsync a server. Sounds like fun. Thanks for that as well. Am I a self learning something

kumado

Linux User
    There isn't a great deal of difference between the 2. If you decide to go to 11.1, do a fresh install.

I agree with the fresh install. At least any troubles are not old bones.

I have to disagree with the differences. I have been Googleing for a time on this and many mirror the same thoughts. The file manager ( I know it can be changed ), the wigettey desktop and so on. It is pretty and there will be many windose users that will love it. It is more difficult to set up the system for what I want than in 4 than in 3 / 3.5. I do more than a windose installation. I want certain partitions, I want the flexibility and so on.

Up till 11.1, there has not been so great a difference. Maybe if I had more time to play / explore.

One of the main reasons I come to this forum. There are people that are ready and willing to help share info with people like me that do not know, need an answer or a short cut to the information.
    Such as an rsync server. Probably old hat to many but not to me. I did not even know to look for such a solution. My hopes is to be able to return the favor sometime.

On the rsync, can someone show me a mirror I can mirror? the Open Suse mirror always replys it is busy, all sockets full. I do not have the command line here, I would like someone to look at it. I believe my firewall is open for it since I get communication and see the same on iptraf.
    I think it is rsync.suse.com I am looking for the update folder for 11.0.

Thanks

Kumado

This command assumes you're using SuSE 11.0 and have a directory named /pub/suse/update/11.0/ on your computer which is writable to the invoking user:

$ rsync -tvzrulhn --delete suse.mirrors.tds.net::opensuse/opensuse/update/11.0/ /pub/suse/update/11.0/

This will only list all the files that will be transferred a/o deleted (this is a good idea, especially when using --delete, in case something changes on the server you don't lose everything immediately). If you're satisfied the command will do what you want, remove the "n" off the -tvz... (-n means dry-run) and the actual transfer will take place. It's big the first time, but one of the big advantages to rsync is future executions of the same command will bring your mirror up-to-date much quicker, since only files that have changed will be transferred.

Obviously, you'll need to make changes to the command to suite your needs, but this should give you a really big foothold on what you need.

Cheers!
    Last edited by D-cat; 01-26-2009 at 02:50 AM. Reason: small typo

many Thanks D-cat!!!
    for both the command syntax and the server
    I hope to try that today at the lab!

ttfn

kumado