Find the answer to your Linux question:
I was installing quicktime4linux today and after a reboot I cannot get x to start I am getting an error message telling me that shared libraries in usr/X11R6/bin/xauth are missing. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

x11 problem

I was installing quicktime4linux today and after a reboot I cannot get x to start

I am getting an error message telling me that shared libraries in usr/X11R6/bin/xauth are missing.

Is there an easy way of reinstalling X from the command line?

I have a large book on Xfree86 but need the computer running again faster than I can read...had a trawl through the net on my other machine but no luck so far.

I am using openSuse 10.1 Enterprise edition SP1 ..I think.

I am considering doing an upgrade to a newer version or maybe Ubuntu (which I have on another machine)

What is my best be to avoid losing any data from the user accounts? and to get Gnome desktop up and running again?

Any help would be so greatly appreciated.

Have you tried using
    Code:
    yast
    ? You will need root rights to install.

Jonathan is right about logging in as root then running yast. However, making note that 10.1 is no longer supported, I would also suggest upgrading.

The biggest concern as to which distro (for me anyway) has to do with how much RAM you have... if you have 512MB or more, Stick with SuSE. It upgrades itself pretty well without killing what you already have. If you have less than 512MB, then SuSE will be slow (less than 256 won't even load the installer any more), go with Ubuntu.

As usually suggested, back up your /home directory to external media before attempting any OS upgrades.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybaddiction View Post
    Is there an easy way of reinstalling X from the command line?

I am using openSuse 10.1 Enterprise edition SP1 ..I think.

I am considering doing an upgrade to a newer version or maybe Ubuntu (which I have on another machine)

What is my best be to avoid losing any data from the user accounts? and to get Gnome desktop up and running again?
    Using Yast to re-install X is probably the quickest and lowest risk method of getting the GUI to work again.

There is an opensource version of SUSE ... current version I think is 11.1, can be downloaded from the net, installed and updated free of charge. The Enterpise edition is different (I have not used this but think this is at version 10 at present).

I agree with D-cat backup home area before changing OS or upgrading, so you can restore your data as required. I like to do fresh installs and copy user data back after the install so openSUSE or Ubuntu would be equally easy for me.