Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I am trying to install Suse Linux 11.1 on my Dell desktop PC.After the installation reaches the point 'starting HAL daemon starting X configuration' , I see all lines ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Monitor displays all lines

Hi,
    I am trying to install Suse Linux 11.1 on my Dell desktop PC.After the installation reaches the point 'starting HAL daemon starting X configuration' , I see all lines on my monitor .Nothing happens after that.I am wondering if it is due to resolution or display card.

Anyone has had any similar issues ?

Thx,

GK

It may be that your install misread the frequency range of your monitor, just a little, and is setting your card beyond the range of your monitor. This can potentially damage your monitor if it's a CRT (like a TV).

When the lines come up, try pressing [Ctrl + Alt + -] to drop to the next resolution mode in your config. If it works, you'll be able to run things normal, I'd suggest you run Yast and edit your default screen mode to one that tests good.

If that key combo doesn't work, you can press [Ctrl + Alt + F1] to drop to a text console. Log in as root and type init 3 . This will shut down the X server. Run yast. Navigate into hardware - display and edit your default mode to something fairly low (like 800 x 600), and make sure the listed monitor is correct. Save your changes, exit, and type init 5 . This should bring your X server back up (you might have to press [Alt + F7] to get to that terminal) and allow you to log in as normal. Follow 2nd paragraph above instructions to find a resolution that works for you.

I was making assumption that the rest of the setup already completed... Are you still in the middle of setup when this happens?

Just Joined!
    Yes,I was in the middle of the install.Did not reach the stage of accessing YaST.

Thx

Okay, then try on the CD boot menu to over-ride the video mode to 800x600 before pressing Install, then cross your fingers!

Just Joined!
    I do not think anyone has gotten the live cd to work with the intel 845 chipset
    you should be able to install with the dvd, at the end of the install you might get the same thing, but it will be after the install is complete. at that point reboot the computer in safe mode and select a resolution that works.

Just Joined!
    Looks like none of the options are working.