Find the answer to your Linux question:
have Intel D845GLLY motherboard with i845 video chipset. When I try to upgrade my openSuSe 10.3 to 11.1, at the point where X should start, the screen goes all messy. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

SuSe 11.1 and i845 video chipset

have Intel D845GLLY motherboard with i845 video chipset. When I try to upgrade my openSuSe 10.3 to 11.1, at the point where X should start, the screen goes all messy. I was doing a clean install from live-CD.
    Is this something that could be corrected with a suitable driver, or is the problem something more profound than this?

I then tried installing Ubuntu (with the option that leaves my computer untouched, but lets me try out Ubuntu). Judging by the sound of it, Ubuntu started, but the screen remained all black. With the "fail safe" option I was able to start Ubuntu and have it on the screen. The resolution was only 800x600 with no other options.

Searching around the internet I found out that others have had problems with i845, but I found nothing that would have helped me. The motherboard only has an integrated display output, no AGP slot. So getting another display card is not an option.

Is there someone out there, who is using 11.1 with i845 video chipset? How did you manage it?
    Or do I have to go through all the other Linux distros till I find one that works with i845?

Just Joined!
    I install using the dvd and at one point the display went unusable. I got lucky because the install will finish like this. So when it's done I reboot in failsafe mode, run sax2 and set my display, every thing is fine.