Find the answer to your Linux question:
Our intranet document manager server has 67G, has used 61G. It is SLES 9. How can I add hard drive to this machine? I don't have much experience on Linux. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to add hard drive

Our intranet document manager server has 67G, has used 61G. It is SLES 9. How can I add hard drive to this machine? I don't have much experience on Linux. Any help will be appreciated. Including what kind of hard drive I should buy.

Thanks a lot.

Lisa

Linux User
    Just choose the fastest drive that is compatible with your server (ide/sata, etc).
    Install it and boot suse.

As root, create a folder to temporarily mount it to (eg newdisk).
    Go to yast>system>partitioner and partition and format the drive. Mount it to /newdisk.

Once done, I would imagine you would want to move /home onto the new drive so copy everything in /home to the new drive.

Once done, make sure everyone has logged off the server. Logout and log in as root.
    Go back to yast>system>partitioner and set the mount point to /home.

Linux User

Just Joined!
    In that case, will the /home use both old and new drive or it will only use new drive?

When you mount a drive to an existing location, that existing location becomes inaccessible, as it now only sees the new device (until the next umount of that dir anyway).

In short, only the new.

Linux User
    Once you are happy the new setup is working, you can unmount the new /home partition, and then login as root in single user mode and delete the contents of the /home directory to free up space.

Just Joined!
    "Once done, I would imagine you would want to move /home onto the new drive so copy everything in /home to the new drive."

How about if my new drive don't have enough space to copy everything in /home ?

By the way, I have to add new disk to my current RAID 5. How to do that?

Thanks