Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Im using OpenSuSE 11.1 and KDE 4.1 and want to be able to use my Hauppauge Nova T box USB2 with kaffiene, but dont know really where to start when ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Setting up TV tuner in SuSe/Setting up compiz

Im using OpenSuSE 11.1 and KDE 4.1 and want to be able to use my Hauppauge Nova T box USB2 with kaffiene, but dont know really where to start when it comes to installing drivers in linux.. Im Also having a problem using compiz/emerald.. Ive clicked all the appropriate boxes in compizconfig settings manager and installed the latest drivers for my nvidia 7800 gs (I think) but nothing has changed .. I have got as far as installing motv and setting the box up in the control centre but when I click to load motv nothing happens...

Just Joined!
    please anyone?

Linux Guru
    I've never set up a Hauppage device but these links may help

Hauppauge - LinuxTVWiki
    Hauppauge WinTV-NOVA-T-USB2 - LinuxTVWiki

As for Compiz, what driver did you install for the nvidia device? Was it the one from nvidia.com? I've never had luck with the howtos for SUSE nvidia installation from the nvidia repository, I was always stuck installing from the official driver. This unfortunately means reinstalling it after kernel or Xorg updates.

Just Joined!
    Ive looked at the supplied links before and was unable to find the drivers listed anywhere.. where can you get them? As for the nvidia drivers, I followed instructions from the Suse website which instructed me to download with suse's own package installer.. I tried the one click download but it wouldnt list anything to install it with.. it was a .ymp file?

Open Yast (Administrator Settings) then click on 'Software Management'. You'll see the software screen and on the menu bar 'Configuration'. Click this and then 'Repositories' for the list of existing repos. Now click the Add button at the bottom, select 'Community Repositories' and Next. From this list choose NVIDIA and OK all the way back to the first screen,
    Now look at NVIDA repo contents and select the one appropriate to you (probably 180.29). The system should automatically choose the matching x11 file - click accept and restart (or logout and in again). Done.

As for the TV - if you have Kaffeine there's very little configuring to do. Does Kaffeine selection screen show a 'Digital TV' choice? If not try plugging the TV USB in before you boot - suse should recognise it. If not you can set it up from 'Hardware' in Yast.
    Once Kaffeine sees it set up is easy.
    Pete

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by peteh View Post
    Does Kaffeine selection screen show a 'Digital TV' choice? If not try plugging the TV USB in before you boot - suse should recognise it. If not you can set it up from 'Hardware' in Yast.
    Once Kaffeine sees it set up is easy.
    Just an addition to that - In configuring my own DVB tuner I've noticed that once Kaffeine hasn't detected the card it won't look again. I usually delete the Kaffeine config from ~/.kde/share/apps/kaffeine and ~/.kde/config/kaffeinerc

Just Joined!
    Ive followed your instructions and am unsure that it has worked. I couldnt find any nvidia in the community repositories list but did find a opensuse 11.1 x11 file which was installed. Restarted but none of my compiz settings seem to be working.

As far as kaffiene is concerned there is no option upon starting it to watch TV. I have configured my hardware>Tv card and everything there seems to be correctly installed. I have tried using moTV but that does not seem to want to work either and nothing happens when I click upon that... Have I done something wrong?

nvidia
    Webpin

compiz try this first in terminal type compiz --replace ccp & post what errors you get

as for your tv card have you tried yast ->
    hardware -> tv card it will detect your card there are drivers for haupage

Just Joined!
    Okay typed the command in and the contrast went completely white and I could only make out lines of colours...

Have tried that in YaSt and it seemed to install correctly and be detected but still cant use it as motv doesnt start up and kaffiene doesnt display and option to watch dvbt broadcast.. Have tried the to delete the config files to no luck ...

Do one thing at a time first get the NVIDIA drive working then worry about the TV.

Do you see a NVIDIA splash screen when you boot?

For the video driver to take effect you must at least log out of the GUI and log back in you should see the NVIDIA splash at this point also.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast