Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
I believe the command should be Code: cd /home/chuckfc8/Desktop Code: md5sum openSUSE-11.1-GNOME-LiveCD-i686.iso Which will take a few minutes and then it'll spit out some numbers, which you need to compare ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

I believe the command should be
    Code:
    cd /home/chuckfc8/Desktop
    Code:
    md5sum openSUSE-11.1-GNOME-LiveCD-i686.iso
    Which will take a few minutes and then it'll spit out some numbers, which you need to compare to the md5sum.txt from where ever you downloaded opensuse.
    If you already have downloaded the md5sums.txt you can use the -c option
    md5sum -c nameoffile openSUSE-11.1-GNOME-LiveCD-i686.iso
    where nameoffile, is the actual name of the md5sums.txt
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    I believe the command should be
    Code:
    cd /home/chuckfc8/Desktop
    Code:
    md5sum openSUSE-11.1-GNOME-LiveCD-i686.iso
    Which will take a few minutes and then it'll spit out some numbers, which you need to compare to the md5sum.txt from where ever you downloaded opensuse.
    If you already have downloaded the md5sums.txt you can use the -c option
    md5sum -c nameoffile openSUSE-11.1-GNOME-LiveCD-i686.iso
    where nameoffile, is the actual name of the md5sums.txt
    Hi Mike...

Last night that didn't work. Today it worked, and I got numbers. AND, I think I got a problem:

[root@localhost chuckfc8]# cd /home/chuckfc8/Desktop
    [root@localhost Desktop]# md5sum openSUSE-11.1-GNOME-LiveCD-i686.iso
    28841811e2a4e37a64907e7b1a369cf0 openSUSE-11.1-GNOME-LiveCD-i686.iso

[root@localhost Desktop]# sha1sum openSUSE-11.1-GNOME-LiveCD-i686.iso
    1755a0e0fa605a2aa0cfc2751d7731bb53617e29 openSUSE-11.1-GNOME-LiveCD-i686.iso

[root@localhost Desktop]# md5sum openSUSE-11.1-GNOME-LiveCD-i686.iso
    28841811e2a4e37a64907e7b1a369cf0 openSUSE-11.1-GNOME-LiveCD-i686.iso

[root@localhost Desktop]# sha1sum openSUSE-11.1-GNOME-LiveCD-i686.iso
    1755a0e0fa605a2aa0cfc2751d7731bb53617e29 openSUSE-11.1-GNOME-LiveCD-i686.iso
    [root@localhost Desktop]#

And what's the problem?
    You need to compare that string to the one provided by the server you downloaded suse from, as long as the numbers match you are golden.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User
    And what's the problem?
    You need to compare that string to the one provided by the server you downloaded suse from, as long as the numbers match you are golden.
    I thought the return string for each command (md5sum, and sha1sum) are supposed to be the same?
    Download Help - openSUSE
    Checksums

Before you burn your CD/DVD images, you should check the files for errors. Two files named *.iso.md5 and *.iso.sha1 are available. These files contains hashes for each ISO image that is available from that download location. The relevant line would look like the following:

8abac6680ecc152f103006b02f9ff67f some.iso

To be sure that download did not contain any errors, you should create this number using MS5 or SHA1 algorithm for your own ISO image.
    [edit]
    Using Linux

On Linux, run one of the command,:

md5sum some.iso
    sha1sum some.iso

If there is any difference between the output of the checksum command and the above number, the download is broken and should be repeated.

I don't see anything on the server site to compare each/either by...
    software.opensuse.org

28841811e2a4e37a64907e7b1a369cf0
    It looks like a match, you should prepare for the burn process now and be sure to check out this howto before you start.
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ins...ll-cd-dvd.html

Linux User
    28841811e2a4e37a64907e7b1a369cf0
    It looks like a match, you should prepare for the burn process now and be sure to check out this howto before you start.
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ins...ll-cd-dvd.html
    Match? Great.. Thanks I'll do the burn.

But I still don't see what you're lookin' at. UNLESS, it doesn't have to be a digit-to-digit match...

Linux User
    The burn did not produce a bootable disc. Apparently the only native burn software in Fedora does not burn as an image.

And since I'm having update errors/mirror problems/dependency resolution errors/package conflicts, (what else is there?), I'll try to copy the file to another OS partition, and find a burn app in there.

Fedora is not cuttin' it...

Linux User
    So I copied the downloaded file to the Ubuntu partition, booted Ubuntu, and opened the LiveCD file with Brasero.

Then I burned it as an ISO image, and it did not produce a bootable image. BIOS is still set to boot from CD/DVD.

Either my download is bad, or the disc I've burned to was made bad by the first burn (even tho' on the second burn, first attempt overwritten, and an ISO WAS burned).

Anybody?

Linux User
    I booted the CD in another computer, and it booted SuSE.

???

This one is updating Fedora, I'll try again to boot the LiveCD again later. Who knows

If any machine will boot from the CD. then it was a good burn and there is nothing wrong with the CD. Maybe the CDROM is going bad.
    The sha1 and md5 are basically the same type of program, they are for checking the integrity of downloads, but each one produces a different string, some people prefer md5 and some people prefer sha1 but there is no need to use both and sha1/md5 is not just for CD/DVD's.
    I found the md5/sha1 info here.
    Software.openSUSE.org
    If you look just below the actual "LiveCD Gnome" link you'll see 3 links titled gpg, md5 and sha1, these are what you compare to the actual output as in your previous post. Just about any ISO and many normal programs you download will have an md5sum or sha1sum for you to verify the downloads with.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast