Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Originally Posted by MikeTbob If any machine will boot from the CD. then it was a good burn and there is nothing wrong with the CD. Maybe the CDROM is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    If any machine will boot from the CD. then it was a good burn and there is nothing wrong with the CD. Maybe the CDROM is going bad.
    The sha1 and md5 are basically the same type of program, they are for checking the integrity of downloads, but each one produces a different string, some people prefer md5 and some people prefer sha1 but there is no need to use both and sha1/md5 is not just for CD/DVD's.
    I found the md5/sha1 info here.
    Software.openSUSE.org
    If you look just below the actual "LiveCD Gnome" link you'll see 3 links titled gpg, md5 and sha1, these are what you compare to the actual output as in your previous post. Just about any ISO and many normal programs you download will have an md5sum or sha1sum for you to verify the downloads with.
    I saw the 3 sublinks, but when I clicked, it popped up like another ISO to download. I guess it was ONLY the key for comparison.

Anyway, the Live burn boots in 2 computers, but not the third, which I burned it in. That's a new laptop too. Yeah, could be a bad ODD drive, but I doubt it... I think it has to do with re-burning the ISO, after doing it wrong the first time.

I don't know how to network boot the Live disk, but I'm tryin' now to load it in another USB disk, then transfer/copy to another partition in the target machine....

Unless something else might work.

I have had older computers before that would not boot CD's with something other than floppy emulation (using a 1.44 floppy image as the boot image). Good for DOS and old "loadlin" Linux distros, but pretty useless for modern Linux.

but I'm tryin' now to load it in another USB disk
    Booting Linux from USB stick is a whole `nother ball game when it comes to kicking in gear.

Check the resources here: Boot and run Linux from a USB flash memory stick | USB Pen Drive Linux

I had this problem too, what you need to do is right click on it and select "save as" to save it somewhere like the desktop and then open it with a text editor.

You could always install Linux onto a USB drive and boot from that.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3