Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi, i have never used Linux before and i have openSuSE 11.1 ....you can make fun of me if you'd like ....but i have no idea how to open a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

package installation

hi, i have never used Linux before and i have openSuSE 11.1 ....you can make fun of me if you'd like ....but i have no idea how to open a program to install or use .... for example

i downloaded winrar

then afterwards i click on it to open

it ask what program to open with

and i have no idea what one .....

so what do i use to open .exe files or so on.. ?

Anyhelp would be much appreciated ....thank you

Hi and Welcome !

Nobody is going to make fun of you because all of us were newbies at one stage.

Does your machine has internet access? You can download and install packages through Yast. Check this tutorial on How to install softwares in Linux.

.exe files are not supported in Linux but you can run a few through wine. It must be available in Yast.

Btw, which exe file do you want to run? Most of Windows alternative packages are available in Linux. Check here.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!

thanks

Hey ,thanks for replying .....i appreciate it ...and i'll check that info out you gave me .....but basically i just need to know what program opens stuff .... i guess im a little confused ...im usally good with computers ...but using windows for so long then converting lol ....and yeah i have DSL ...and i been getting all my stuff ..like downloading .avi's and programs but when i click to open or install ..it ask me what to use to install ....so i tryed a couple diffrent things ...when i did the yast2 it froze ..so idk let me check out what u said and i'll let ya know how i make out ...thanks again ...my buddy was the one who always told me to go to linux its so much better

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

blah

Im lost ..........

Installing software in opensuse:
    YaST/Modules/Software Management - openSUSE

User guides for opensuse. I really recommend at least browsing through this for the basics:
    Novell Doc: OpenSUSE 11.1 - Table of Contents