Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I am trying to set up a NFS directory on SLES11 called /home/partimag. On SLES10 I had created the same directory. I use /home/partimag to store back up images ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

SLES 11 - NFS Directory Help

Hi,

I am trying to set up a NFS directory on SLES11 called /home/partimag. On SLES10 I had created the same directory. I use /home/partimag to store back up images of my desktops using the Clonezilla software.

With SLES11 I am having trouble getting my client to mount to /home/partimag. I used the YaST2 NFS Server utility to set up my directory. Below are the SLES 11 default exports options that YaST2 creates.

fsid=0,crossmntro,root_squash,sync,no_subtree_chec k

SLES10 had fewer options including "ro" which I changed to "rw." I was able to mount to /home/partimag on SLES10 when I changed the option to "rw."

I tried adding "rw" like this on SLES11

fsid=0,crossmntro,root_squash,rw,sync,no_subtree_check

but still I have no luck mounting to /home/partimag from my client machine.

I don''t understand why creating a NFS directory would be different on SLES11 than SLES10. Are my exports parameters correct? How do I make the /home/partimag accessible on my server?

Thanks.

-Mike
    Suse Linux Enterprise Server 11
    Suse Linux Enterprise Server 10 - SP3
    OpenSuse 11.2, KDE 4.3.1

Linux User
    in the line:
    fsid=0,crossmntro,...
    Delete the crossmntro and it should work.

Linux Newbie
    Thanks.

In the mean time I was able to get the default NFS exports options "ro,root_squash,sync,no_subtree_check" (via Yast NFS Server utility) by doing the following:

1. Log into SLES11 as user Mike.
    2. Open terminal and "SU".
    3. Create directory /home/partimag at command line.
    4. Chown directory to user Mike..
    5. Open Yast and run NFS Server utility.

Previosly these options always showed by default "fsid=0,crossmntro,root_squash,sync,no_subtree_chec k
    " by me doing the following steps.

1. Log into SLES11 as root.
    2. Navigate to home directory and create /home/partimag via mouse.
    3. Use mouse to right click /home/partimag and change user to Mike.
    4. Open Yast and run NFS server utility.

I don't understand why creating the directory at the command line (with SU privileges) while logged in as a user yielded the default exports options "ro,root_squash,sync,no_subtree_check" versus at the GUI while logged in as root yielded "fsid=0,crossmntro,root_squash,sync,no_subtree_chec k
    ".

-Mike
    OpenSuse 11.2, KDE 4.3.1

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User
    I found it easier doing it by editing the file entry.
    Interesting - there must be a problem with the way the file manager sets the permissions. I take it you are using gnome?

Linux Newbie
    Yes, I am using GNOME.
    OpenSuse 11.2, KDE 4.3.1

Linux User
    SLES gnome and nautlilus must have a bug somewhere.
    I found problems with dns and ldap on sles11, so have stuck with sles10 for now.

Linux Newbie
    I have not upgraded my production box to SLES11 yet. I am debating whether to stay with SLES10-SP2 for now. Thanks for the feedback.
    OpenSuse 11.2, KDE 4.3.1

Linux User
    I'll try installing 10 on my test machine and doing an upgrade and let you know how it goes.
    Trouble is, my production server is an old dual intel p3 and runs fine with sles 10, but I fear sles 11 wants more horsepower. A shame really, because a server doesn't need all the eye candy stuff.
    Also look at SLES-11 "forgets" DNS server input in yast configuration.. - NOVELL FORUMS and you'll see what I mean about the dns/ldap problems.
    I can't believe we are the only 2 who have encountered the problem, but novell support seems to be inactive in their forums compared to the opensuse guys. Maybe they want you to pay for a solution!?
    If you want a small office solution on a single server, you want it all to work together. I daresay sles11 does other bits better, but I think the end user wants most of the distro to work out of the box.
    Also, suse have been known for their value added admin tools which set it apart from the others.

Linux User
    I did an upgrade from sles 10 to 11 with just nfs, ldap and dns running from sles 10. All went well. Seems like there are problems with the yast modules creating the correct entries for ldap and dns. Once they are in the database, sles11 is fine.
    Hopefully the bugs will be fixed sometime soon.