Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
I've made a backup of our Linux server with an Acronis startup rescue disk. The image went without any problems, and the restore has gone without any problems as well ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Arrow Restoring Linux with Acronis

I've made a backup of our Linux server with an Acronis startup rescue disk. The image went without any problems, and the restore has gone without any problems as well (restored to a VM).

What problems I am running into are actually getting the Linux box to boot now that it is restored on a VM. I run into some type of error no matter what method I use to try and get it booted. Here's what I've tried so far.

*Keep in mind I am an extreme Linux newbie. I have almost no knowledge of anything Linux at all.*

When I boot the VM, I get this (screen 1). So, it didn't just "boot up" from the recovery as I'd hoped it would.

The next thing was I popped in the SUSE CD and tried to do an Update through the install. Then I get what you see in screen 2.

I tried Repair Installed System through the CD installer also. I chose Automatic Repair. I answered yes to a few Swap questions. Then I get Screen 3 after it runs through a few things, then Screen 4 after I tell it to try to repair.

Any help here would be great. I feel it is really close to booting up and working, but I just don't know what else to do at this point to actually make it work since Linux is foreign to me.

I am wondering if going from real box to VM has confused it because of the "hardware" change. I read somewhere that recompiling the kernel will make it re-detect the hardware? I have no idea how to do that though, or if it is what I should attempt to do.

Any steps anyone recommends, you'll have to provide a guide with it because I don't know what I'm doing in this OS.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ok your problem appears to be that the VM does not exactly emulate the partition set up on the hardware. The first screen shows that a partition (text to small to read which) could not be found or mounted.

Can you, on the original machine, get the partition setup?

in a console type

su
    then the root password (note does not echo)

then fdisk -l

this will give you the partition layout of the original disk.

In the VM do you make it past the Grub startup screen?? If so it looks like the boot record and the root directory may be intact

The pictures I attached resized themselves to about half the size they were at the time of attachment. Is there a way I can prevent this so the text is legible?

I'll do what you suggested and let you know what I see on the physical box. Thanks.

Edit: I do make it to the boot loader, I think. I had the option to choose how I wanted to start the PC, so I assume that is the Grub loader I'm seeing. If I chose to go ahead with the hard drive boot it would get so far, then say something about SDA# not found" and stop at a prompt. Sorry, I don't remember the exact error message.

Edit 2: Here's what I got from the Fdisk -l.

Disk /dev/sda: 160.0 GB, 160000000000 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19452 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 * 1 7 56196 de Dell Utility
    /dev/sda2 8 268 2096482+ 6 FAT16
    /dev/sda3 269 19452 154095480 f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
    /dev/sda5 269 2879 20972826 83 Linux
    /dev/sda6 2880 19452 133122591 fd Linux raid autodetect

Disk /dev/sdb: 160.0 GB, 160000000000 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19452 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sdb1 1 19451 156240126 f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
    /dev/sdb5 1 523 4200934+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris
    /dev/sdb6 524 2879 18924538+ 83 Linux
    /dev/sdb7 2880 19451 133114558+ fd Linux raid autodetect

Disk /dev/md0: 136.3 GB, 136309178368 bytes
    2 heads, 4 sectors/track, 33278608 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 8 * 512 = 4096 bytes

Disk /dev/md0 doesn't contain a valid partition table

I'm assuming I need to setup my VM as close to this as possible?

It looks like you have a raid disk setup on two drives. This most likely is causing the problem. Can you emulate the second drive in the VM?

sdYX where Y is a letter designating the drive starting with 'a' and Y is a number designating the partition starting with '1' . Is how Linux sees the partitions. There is a file /etc/fstab (File System Table). This defines how and which partitions are mounted.

I thought the raid might be messing it up. I would actually love to just ditch the raid. It's not like I need it on a VM! I'm not sure if I can, and if I can how to do it.

What I have done is make 2 hard drives on the VM, both set to 160gb. When I restored with Acronis, I let it remake all the partitions exactly as they were setup on the physical machine. So, I assume that would be good since everything should be the same as on the physical machine.

I'm performing another restore this time. I noticed, for what it is worth, that the hard drives on my VM were set to 150gb instead of 160gb. I don't know that it'll make any difference, but since it only takes some time to restore it I figured I'd go ahead with it.

I'll let you know where it stands from here. I'm probably in the same boat after the restore, but you never know.

At the moment you are copying the partition images which are raided. Rather than the image you might try copying the content just manually create the target partitions. This would eliminate the underlying raid. This would work with real drives but not sure how to accomplish with a VM though.

Arrow

The restore went well, however I can't get beyond a certain point at boot. See the attached screen shot for where I'm stuck now.

This is the farthest I have gotten so that is good news I guess.

Any ideas about where to go from here?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like you are safe in a shell but the sda5 partition is still not being recognized.

Since you are at a shell prompt try

/sbin/fdisk -l

and see if you can see what the VM thinks the partitions are

You need the full path above because I doubt any paths have been set at this stage.

Hey gogalthorp, thanks for all your help so far.

When I type /sbin/fdisk -l, all I get is "No such file or directory". I guess this is what you meant by needing the full path? Is there something else I should try out?

ok maybe not all the root directories are mounted

type

ls

to see where you are this is the same as dir in dos (more or less LOL) You can also use cd to change directories

It is possible nothing is mounted I guess.

also try

mount

this should list the mounted partitions.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast