Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am attempting to automate mirroring of my web root directory and I have been following this tutorial. Mirror Your Web Site With rsync | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Automate RSYNC Without FQDN

I am attempting to automate mirroring of my web root directory and I have been following this tutorial.

Mirror Your Web Site With rsync | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials

My first manual rsync test worked just as described in step 3. Now I am stuck at step 5 where the tutorial describes the following:

It is important that you use a FQDN like mirror.example.com instead of an IP address after from=, otherwise the automated mirroring will not work!

command="/home/someuser/rsync/checkrsync",from="mirror.example.com",no-port-forwarding,no-X11-forwarding,no-pty ssh-dss AAAAB3NzaC1kc3MAAA[...]lSUom root@
    mirror

Here is my environment:

I have a main server (server1) that I want to mirror the contents of the web root (/srv/www/htdocs/). We run a few PHP web applications internally for business use there. None of these applications have a domain and we simply access the applications in the office via the internal IP address (i.e. 192.168.1.XX/application_name ). I was not planning on purchasing a domain name because we do not use the applications externally.

My mirror server (located off site) is a virtual machine running a SLES11 guest on a SLES11 host. I am using VMware Server 2.0.1 as the virtualization technology. I also have a virtual web server ( SLES11 guest) on the same physical host running a low traffic web site. I want to keep my mirror server and web server separate. I have one static IP provided by my ISP coming into my office where the mirror server is located. I have port 80 pointing to my virtual web server and port 22 pointing to my virtual mirror server. Is there a work around to automating rsync without needing a FQDN? Will I need a second static IP for the mirror server?

Thanks.

-Mike
    Suse Linux Enterprise Server 11
    Suse Linux Enterprise Server 10 - SP3
    OpenSuse 11.2, KDE 4.3.1

Linux Newbie
    Solved - but not without a FQDN.

I tested to see if the domain name for the website running on my webserver would work for the rsync server. Both are virtual machines with different internal IP addresses on the same physical box. Since the website domain points to the public IP address of the physical box, it worked for identifying my rsync server for automatic mirroring.

-Mike
    Suse Linux Enterprise Server 11
    Suse Linux Enterprise Server 10 - SP3
    OpenSuse 11.2, KDE 4.3.1