Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi guys hopefully you can help me here. I run ClamAV on my machine. I was looking at the security updates in Yast2 and saw a new one for ClamAV ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Yast2 Security Updates

Hi guys hopefully you can help me here. I run ClamAV on my machine. I was looking at the security updates in Yast2 and saw a new one for ClamAV with a smilie face in front of it. I looked at the legend and found that it meant that all requirements where met, however I cannot for the life of me figure out how to install it. I know it's a simple question, but how can I select it and install it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

When updating programs in Yast, it's usually just clicking the check box to the left. When all the updates you want are selected, press Apply in the lower right.

Specifically with clamav, while the program updates are done this way, regular definition updates should be done by running freshclam as root (or sudo).

Just Joined!

Yast2 Updates

Thanks for the reply. This update appears to me for Clam Av itself, not the definitions, also I was working with yast2 in the CLI, which still won't let me select the update to install.

Maybe the update fails dependencies? I don't know why else it wouldn't let you select it (though that particular reason it usually tells you and gives you the option to do it anyway).

Hmmm, I just thought of another possible reason. This "update" might be on another repository with a higher number priority than what's currently installed. Try searching for it in regular Software Management, then click the versions tab. There you might be able to force the update.

Just Joined!
    Yeah I tried that just then and it didn't work unfortunately. I know all the dependencies are okay because in the update screen it gives me the little smilie face icon which means all dependencies are met, I just can't install it lol. I'll go through the steps in case I am missing something important. I go into Yast2 through the command line, select online update, select the drop down that says security patches, theres a few there and I can only select and install the ones without a similie face next to them.

Linux Newbie
    Try as root in the commandline

Code:
    zypper up clamav