Find the answer to your Linux question:
I bought my first Mac this week and I am running Snow Leopard. I installed Chicken of the VNC to connect to my Linux boxes. I am able to connect ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

VNC Issues - Mac to Linux

I bought my first Mac this week and I am running Snow Leopard. I installed Chicken of the VNC to connect to my Linux boxes. I am able to connect to a SLES10-SP2 box off site but unable to connect to a SLES11 box on my internal network. Every time I try to connect to my internal Linux box I am able to see the login screen, but as soon as I try to type the login id in the Chicken of the VNC window, the program hangs and times out. I am puzzled why I have no problem connecting to an off site Linux box but cannot connect to an internal Linux box in the next room. Is there a setting in VNC administration of the Linux boxes that needs to be adjusted?

Thanks.

-Mike
    Suse Linux Enterprise Server 11
    Suse Linux Enterprise Server 10 - SP3
    OpenSuse 11.2, KDE 4.3.1

I'd probably try to identify which VNC server is running (and IF it is: check Yast -> Network Services -> Remote administration (VNC)) on your SuSE 11 box, and make sure it's set up correctly. If you can't get it to go, try a different server. A quick search of Yast SM shows me 3 options: Xvnc, TightVNC, and if you're running Gnome, vino.

Linux Newbie
    In software management I have tightvnc and xvnc installed. I am not sure which one is running as I never had to specify. I would always turn on VNC via YaST and never recall choosing a specific VNC server.

When accessing these boxes (both local network and remote) from another Linux machine, I would open a terminal and type "vncviewer IP_Address:1" and a vnc window would open to the login screen of the server I was accessing.

I just installed an OpenSuse11.1 virtual machine on my Mac and was able to open a terminal and use "vncviewer" to connect to my Linux box on the network ( in the next room) without any trouble. Yet, Chicken of the VNC is unresponsive when trying to connect to the same box. I am puzzled.
    Last edited by MikeH30; 11-01-2009 at 06:26 AM.
    OpenSuse 11.2, KDE 4.3.1

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Did you open a port in the Mac firewall?? Try another VNC client on the Mac I'm sure there is more then one. Can you VNC into the Mac?

":1"? It should default to port 5900, but you might be confusing it. I don't know, I've never heard of "Chicken of the VNC" before, but with most network programs, the number after a colon is the port it tries to access, not the display you're trying to open. The display number should actually be added to the port number...

from TCOTVNC documentation:
    Display/Port: The display number or port for the connection. VNC server programs on Windows machines tend to default to display number 0, while older VNC servers on Mac OS X, such as OSXvnc version 0.7, tend to use display number 1. If you can't connect, you can try switching the display number between these two values. Display numbers less than 100 are interpreted as a port number. If you're having problems connecting, you should make sure that the port is not firewalled on the server machine. The port number is 5900 plus the display number - in other words, display zero is port 5900, display one is port 5901, etc.
    -Emphasis added.

Linux Newbie
    I tried another VNC client called JollysFastVNC. I connected to my internal linux box with no trouble. I guess I will use JollysFastVNC.

I have no idea why Chicken of the VNC will not let me connect to my internal linux box yet it lets me connect to an off site linux box. Perhaps this is a Snow Leopard compatibility issue with Chicken. ?????
    OpenSuse 11.2, KDE 4.3.1

I have never used TightVNC on Linux but on Windows you can set the server up to do html/java so any browser can be a client.

Linux Newbie
    I found that TightVNC worked best for connecting from one Linux box to another. The GUI was smooth and there was no mouse lag - even when connecting from 700 miles away. I found lag when using FireFox as a browser VNC client.
    OpenSuse 11.2, KDE 4.3.1

Linux Newbie
    I have pin pointed the trouble to SLES11 when using the VNC client Chicken of the VNC. I installed two VM's on a test server (SLES10-SP2 and SLES11). I am able to successfully log into the SLES10-SP2 server but for some reason I am encountering trouble with logging into the SLES 11 machine. I am able to connect to the SLES11 box as the login screen appears immediately. However the trouble is that I cannot login. When attempting to type into the user name input field, there is a serious lag and my cursor spins endlessly until the VNC client times out. This does not occur when connecting to the SLES10-SP2 VM - there is no lag and I connect real time.

What could be different with SLES11 from SLES10 that is giving Chicken of the VNC trouble with logging in? I used the default settings for both VM's when I created them. I really like Chicken's interface but not if I can't use it to connect to SLES11 boxes.

Thanks.

-Mike
    OpenSuse 11.2, KDE 4.3.1