Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just managed to finish installing opensuse 11.2 on my laptop. I have a ATI FireGL V5700 graphics card, and I'd like to install the official driver for this. Does ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

ATI drivers

I just managed to finish installing opensuse 11.2 on my laptop.
    I have a ATI FireGL V5700 graphics card, and I'd like to install the official driver for this.

Does anyone know where I could find the driver, because ATI's webpage doesnt seem to list the card.

I tried downloading the catalyst 9.10 driver, and following the instructoins given here en,opensuse,org/Howto/ATI_Driver (I put commans instead of fullstops as the site doesnt allow me to post links) under the heading the "command-line way". Sadly after selecting the suse packages in the script, it asked me to choose one of the items under that option. I didn't know what to pick exactly, so I picked opensuse 112 IA32. I am assuming that means 11.2 intel architecture, but I'm not sure..

Sadly I got an error and was not able togenerate the distro specific package.

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong??

Vamega

Do you have 32 bit or 64bit Suse installed?

Also would help if you gave use any error messages.

Just Joined!

32 bit

I'm running the 32 bit version. I think the iso said something like i586. I don't really know what that means, but it may be useful.

The only error message I found was the one the one in the log file the script created, which said that the creation of the distribution specific package failed.

If you need any more information, please just say what it is, and I'll try my best to give it to you.

By the way, the laptop I am using is the Lenovo Thinkpad W500.

Vamega

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    The exact message that I found in the log file was

Package build failed!
    [Error] Generate Package - error generating package : SuSE/SUSE112-IA32

I was trying to use the Catalyst 9.10 driver, because - correct me if I'm wrong - that is the latest catalyst driver?

Did you try

sudo sh /usr/bin/fglrx-kernel-build.sh

You may need to install the kernel-source and gcc compiler to build a kernel module
    Just install them via Yast

Did you try the one click install?

Just Joined!

Invalid Directory

I tried to look at the shell script you mentioned but I cannot seem to locate that shell script on my filesystem. I'm assuming that it exists after one has installed the driver.

I did try using the 1-click install link on the website, but I was unable to accomplish my goal through that method, as YaST tells me that the .ymp file does not have instructions for the version of suse I am using (11.2)

Thanks for all the help.
    If anyone has any idea how I can get this working properly please do tell me, and if you need more information, I'd be happy to provide it.
    I'll write a tutorial for this if I ever get this working.

Vamega

Ok this might be because 11.2 has just now been released and the repositories are not yet caught up. Maybe you need to be a little patient.

Looking at the instruction on the page you indicated they are for the 64 bit version. you need the 32 bit version. Follow the instruction but use the 32bit version not the 64.

It looks like the full FireGL line use the 8.634 driver. not the 9.10. So even if your card is not listed the best guess is that you need the 8.634 driver.

ATI Proprietary Linux x86 Display Driver