Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am new here and new to Linux as well and am needing some help. I have fooled around with Ubuntu but because of mounting issues, I went back to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Noob in need of help

I am new here and new to Linux as well and am needing some help.

I have fooled around with Ubuntu but because of mounting issues, I went back to Windows.

I received a free computer Thursday.Dual core P4, 1.28 gigs ram,2x 80gig satas in RAID1..It was free so I'm not complaining. During initial install of openSuse the bootloader would not install. I tried Ubuntu and upon restart I got a black screen with no prompt. Finally I said screw it and took Raid off for the fact that I was thinking it was screwing stuff up.

Finally got openSuse installed but only one hard drive is showing up..

Have a 1tb external formatted with Apples filesystem that I can only read from. I need read/write permissions and can't establish them. I heard that because it is in HSF, I'm prolly gonna have to reformat but I don't have the space to do it.

Would appreciate the help and thanks for who-ever does help.

~Nerd

At a command line become root by using the su command

su
    then the root password (note password does not echo to screen)

then

fdisk -l (note: lower case L not a one)

to list the block devices
    lets see what shows up. If the second drive does not show up here there is a good possibility that there is something physically wrong with it.

Since the original configuration was RAID it is possible you will need to reformat any partitions on the second drive to be able to use it. This can be done in Yast-System-Partitioner.

For the Mac drive I think you need to disable journaling to allow writing. This needs to be done from a Mac.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    At a command line become root by using the su command

su
    then the root password (note password does not echo to screen)

then

fdisk -l (note: lower case L not a one)

to list the block devices
    lets see what shows up. If the second drive does not show up here there is a good possibility that there is something physically wrong with it.

Since the original configuration was RAID it is possible you will need to reformat any partitions on the second drive to be able to use it. This can be done in Yast-System-Partitioner.
    Thanks for the info.

I did the fdisk command and both drives show up but it says theres no "valid partition table"

/dev/sda--
    /dev/sba1 Linux swap/Solaris
    /dev/sba2 Linux
    /dev/sba3 Linux

/dev/sdb deson't contain a valid partition table.

I don't know how to make one or whatnot, so if someone wants to help me out I would sure apprecoiate it..lol

~Nerd

Edit: I got it formatted but it's in my lost&found...Is that right???When I partitioned it, it asked me where to mount it and I'm thinking I picked the wrong place..lol

I heard that with Gparted, I can format my external and still keep all my stuff..Is that true. Heard it was dangerous.

~Nerd
    Last edited by nerdyperdy; 11-14-2009 at 04:57 PM. Reason: had to add

Go to Yast-System-Partitioner you can create any partitions there. Note this is very powerful be very sure that you have everything set correctly before committing to a partition scheme. You don't want to accidentally repartition the drive that has the OS on it.

Edit: I got it formatted but it's in my lost&found...Is that right???When I partitioned it, it asked me where to mount it and I'm thinking I picked the wrong place..lol

I heard that with Gparted, I can format my external and still keep all my stuff..Is that true. Heard it was dangerous.
    No this is not right where did you mount it? It should be a place that is not already used. This is a new mount point/directory. Try again

I'm not really sure the anything will switch format types and preserve data. Does not sound like a smart thing to do to me. You can use gparted to resize partition and preserve the data, at least if you do not make the partition smaller then the data.

I don't use Apple so I'm just going by what I have read. Switching journaling off with a Mac should allow the drive to be written to. Also you may need to use the HSFPLUS mount option.