Find the answer to your Linux question:
How do I remove all traces of an uninstalled application? I accidentally installed the wrong version of VMware (Workstation v7)and I need to remove it completely so I can install ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Completely Uninstalling a Program? (openSuSE w/VMware)

How do I remove all traces of an uninstalled application?

I accidentally installed the wrong version of VMware (Workstation v7)and I need to remove it completely so I can install an earlier version (Workstation v6.5) because my license key for 6.5 doesn't work in v7

I followed the instructions to uninstall VMware Workstation 7 and now when I try to install v6.5, it hangs while trying to configure stage of the install.

I'm thinking I need to remove all of VMware WS v7's leftovers and start fresh

I've tried multiple times reinstalling, uninstalling, re-uninstalling and re-reinstalling every way I know how......Does anyone know how I can go about doing this?

Thanks,
    Don

What version of Suse? If 11.2 there are issues. Report the exact error or the point at which things fail. I have yet to see a good explanation why the installs are failing but I have yet to be able to get VMware Server to install. It appears to be a Vmware installer problem with the new Kernel.

Just Joined!

RE: RE: Completely Uninstalling a Program? (openSuSE w/VMware)

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    What version of Suse? If 11.2 there are issues. Report the exact error or the point at which things fail. I have yet to see a good explanation why the installs are failing but I have yet to be able to get VMware Server to install. It appears to be a Vmware installer problem with the new Kernel.
    SUSE v11.2...I couldn't resist, and that might be the cause. I tried booting from the DVD using the 'Repair Installed System' option and it found a lot of errors that it didn't fix. So maybe that is the answer. Time to reinstall :-/
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    About VMware Server,
    I've never had it working on Linux either but VMware Workstation 7 installed flawlessly on SuSE 11.2...uninstalling was a problem though(for me) and I've successfully installed VMware Workstation v6.5 on SuSE 11.1 without any issues....so maybe VMware Server is the problem, I don't think they support it as much as workstation because the Server version is free (the web interface isn't too great anyway...buggy even on Windows)

Anyway, Thanks so much for replying so quickly and I appreciate you taking the time to help me out with this issue, I guess 11.2 isn't ready just yet.

Thanks again,
    Don

Not so much 11.2 but the proprietary add-ons

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Not so much 11.2 but the proprietary add-ons
    Oh, so it's just a compatibility issue with WMware's uninstaller or maybe just VMware in general. Okay, I'm actually glad to hear that because I really like the new version....maybe I'll just use Virtualbox until it gets worked out. Thanks!

Take Care,
    Don