Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Hello I've installed opensuse 11.2 for my sister, and i don't know, how can i activate the driver I've downloaded the correct driver fromhttp://support.amd.com/ (ATI Radeon X1300) and in the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

OpenSuSE 64bit (SMB and ATI)

Hello
    I've installed opensuse 11.2 for my sister, and i don't know, how can i activate the driver

I've downloaded the correct driver fromhttp://support.amd.com/ (ATI Radeon X1300)
    and in the konsole, i've done this:

sister@linux-rrhw:~> su
    Password:
    linux-rrhw:/home/sister # cd /home/sister/Letöltés
    linux-rrhw:/home/sister/Letöltés # sh ./ati-driver-installer-9-3-x86.x86_64.run
    Created directory fglrx-install.sMtWjp
    Verifying archive integrity... All good.
    Uncompressing ATI Proprietary Linux Driver-8.593............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..
    ==================================================
    ATI Technologies Linux Driver Installer/Packager
    ==================================================
    which: no XFree86 in (/home/sister/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/games:/opt/kde3/bin:/usr/lib64/jvm/jre/bin:/usr/lib/mit/bin:/usr/lib/mit/sbin:/opt/real/RealPlayer)

Error: ./default_policy.sh does not support version
    default:v286_64:lib::none:2.6.31.5-0.1-desktop; make sure that the version is being
    correctly set by --iscurrentdistro

Removing temporary directory: fglrx-install.sMtWjp
    linux-rrhw:/home/sister/Letöltés #

I have another problem with this Linux.
    I can't create a new samba user

linux-rrhw:/home/sister/Letöltés # smbpasswd -a sister
    New SMB password:
    Retype new SMB password:
    'algorithmic rid base' is set but a passdb backend without algorithmic RIDs is chosen.
    Please map all used groups using 'net groupmap add', set the maximum used RID
    and remove the parameter
    Failed to add entry for user sister.

ATI dropped support for older cards from their more recent drivers and their older proprietary driver doesn't work with >=Xorg 7.4. Your only option is to use the open source xf86-video-ati driver. (Which I would assume is the default in opensuse.)

Just Joined!
    i can not find the 'xf86-video-ati' package in the default repositories. I've downloaded the 'xf86-video-ati-6.12.4.tar.gz' file, and i've tired to install, but i can't do it. I found a sh file (autogen.sh) and i tried to run this stuff, but it sent a message:

./autogen.sh: line 9: autoreconf:the command is not found. (perhaps it is in english)

This means I can forget the Compiz and the hardware acceleration?

Looks like opensuse calls it xorg-x11-driver-video-radeonhd, but it should already be installed.

It can get a little confusing. There's two opensource drivers, radeon and radeonhd that are very similar. Radeon is part of the xf86-video-ati project. It seems the company behind opensuse, Novell, has people working on the radeonhd driver, so I suppose it makes sense they ship that one. Though I would assume they have the radeon driver available as well. Don't really know.

X.Org Wiki - radeonhd
    X.Org Wiki - radeon

[Phoronix] Radeon vs. RadeonHD Fighting Continues

Just Joined!
    Yes, you're right! xorg-x11-driver-video-radeonhd package is already installed. how can I activate the hardware acceleration?
    I checked the SaX2 and I saw that the hardware acceleration is enabled. Can I beleive it? Because I can't modify this value (it is gray)
    Is here a test which tells that the acceleration is active?

Is here a test which tells that the acceleration is active?
    Post the output of
    Code:
    glxinfo | grep render
    If it says direct rendering: no, you do not have hardware acceleration happening.

Just Joined!
    I checked with the command and it says the acceleration is working correctly.
    direct rendering = yes

but
    If I start the glxgears, it writes the frame rate is 60 fps and then immediately crashes.

What do you advise?
    Can I install the Compiz Fusion? Just because the whole system is so slow.

glxinfo is not a benchmark. I'm not sure how indicative your low fps is of actual performance. You can certainly try to run compiz and see how it goes.

Do you have a /etc/X11/xorg.conf file? If so post it. If not, you may need to create one and tweak some settings.

Post the contents of /var/log/Xorg.0.log

Also the outpuf of
    Code:
    dmesg | grep radeon
    I think opensuse has kernel mode setting by default for ATI cards now. You can try turning it off. I adding radeon.modeset=0 to the boot line should do that.

Also, I can tell you my personal experience with opensuse 11.2 and a radeon xpress 200 card was abysmal, but the same worked perfectly with Fedora 12 and Ubuntu 9.10.

You are kind of stuck the old ATI drivers are not supported and the new don't work with your card. The OS drivers are only 2D acceleration so do not work well with 3D software such as Compiz. The big problem is propritary drivers that can not be modified by the community and are only partially supported by the manufacturer.

The only real solution is to install a newer ATI card or even an older NVIDIA card. Assuming this is a not a notebook

The OS drivers are only 2D acceleration so do not work well with 3D software such as Compiz.
    That's not entirely true. I have satisfactory 3D acceleration with the open source drivers and an old radeon xpress 200.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast