Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I need to connect my Linux PC (SuSe 11.1 with KDE) to a Xp PC (using same internet connection, same network) and I have been trying to install Samba since ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    t28
    Just Joined!

Angry Samba Refuses to Install

I need to connect my Linux PC (SuSe 11.1 with KDE) to a Xp PC (using same internet connection, same network) and I have been trying to install Samba since many forums I've searched in insist it as the basic to start with. However, errors abound (see images one, two, and three).

Do I need to install Samba? Are there any other programs (more reliable) I can use instead? I just need to see documents and folders in the other PC.

More on the Errors:
    Image one is via Yast -> Software Management
    Image two is via Yast -> Network Services -> Samba Server
    Image three is via Yast -> Network Services -> Samba Server -> Image two -> 'Continue' option

Normally Samba is installed by default. Unless you told the installer not to install it or uninstalled it or the the files are damaged in some way, you should only need to set it up and open the Firewall to the local net.

Go to Yast-Software-Software Management

search for samba.

Make sure the Samba files are checked and yast2-sambaxxx files are checked. Note do not normally need devel and krb_print files. Also if running 64bit os there could be 32 bit versions presented also be sure these are also installed. If they are marked installed try deleting them and then reinstalling.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by t28 View Post
    I need to connect my Linux PC (SuSe 11.1 with KDE) to a Xp PC (using same internet connection, same network) and I have been trying to install Samba since many forums I've searched in insist it as the basic to start with. However, errors abound (see images one, two, and three).

Do I need to install Samba? Are there any other programs (more reliable) I can use instead? I just need to see documents and folders in the other PC.

More on the Errors:
    Image one is via Yast -> Software Management
    Image two is via Yast -> Network Services -> Samba Server
    Image three is via Yast -> Network Services -> Samba Server -> Image two -> 'Continue' option
    Do you mean not installed or not running? Samba is quite reliable.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    t28
    Just Joined!

Post Samba Install Status

I mean as far as Software Management SHOWS HERE, Samba is not installed. Some libraries that support Samba are installed, but Samba itself is not installed.

If you examine the image, you'll see Samba is highlighted in dark blue (unchecked). Now when I try to install it, a WARNING MESSAGE pops up. What do I do about the warning message? Is it something I should ignore and go ahead with installation? The file it asks for is certainly not present in any of the File Lists of Samba related installed files.

The Yast2-Samba client is checked, one is outdated, but no updates are available to either. Should I reinstall them anyway, even if one is outdated?

As I said in my first post, Image two is via Yast -> Network Services -> Samba Server. When I click on Samba Server, it tells me:

These packages need to be installed:
    samba
    samba-client

This is further proof that Samba is not installed .
    However, if I try to install it, then it results in Image two and three (refer to first post).

Linux Newbie
    Try opening a command line terminal such as konsole and type

Code:
    sudo zypper refresh; sudo zypper in samba
    Last edited by mikesd; 11-28-2009 at 01:22 PM. Reason: fixed typo

t28
    Just Joined!

Post sudo zypper refresh; sudo zypper in samba result (in the same problem)

All repositories have been refreshed.
    Loading repository data...
    Reading installed packages...
    Resolving package dependencies...

Problem: nothing provides libiniparser.so.0 needed by samba-client-3.2.6-0.3.1.i586
    Solution 1: do not ask to install a solvable providing samba

Choose the above solution using '1' or cancel using 'c' [1/C]:

Samba is installed by default. So why do you not have it? Did you explicitly tell the installer not to install it? How did you install Suse? Are you installing the Samba packages by Yast-Software-Software Management from the repositories? Are you trying to install a source package or a RPM that you downloaded?

t28
    Just Joined!

Post q & a

Did you explicitly tell the installer not to install it? No. Never.

How did you install Suse? umm(???), my Boot CD (downloaded it)

Are you installing the Samba packages by Yast-Software-Software Management from the repositories? Well, I do go to Software Management, but then I do a search for Samba. And then I try to install from the search results.

Are you trying to install a source package or a RPM that you downloaded? I have not tried an RPM. I guess if by source package you mean the SuSe software which I have used for installing SuSe and everything else, then thats it. I haven't downloaded anything else, like from the internet or something.

t28
    Just Joined!

Lightbulb work around

Maybe I can install something that has the "libiniparser.so.0" file before I try to install Samba, so that Samba can rely on that. Any ideas?

Go to Yast-Software-Software Management
    search for libiniparser

you should find that package.

I still think if you simply install Samba VIA Yast and repositories it would just work

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast