Find the answer to your Linux question:
I wish to install a different distro from a known non-default online repository where I can view the files via my browser, but do not know how to download them ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

[SOLVED] install new system from repository

I wish to install a different distro from a known non-default online repository where I can view the files via my browser, but do not know how to download them and install them. I was thinking of Debian and Ubuntu. If they have a built in downloader file and installer, please identify and advise how to run it from outside the repository. If this requires command line work, pls give detailed as possible method, as I'm not very bright and definitely a noob.
    2.6GHz Celeron, 1GB, 160GB, 128Mb SuSe11.2; PCTV, GBit eth0 on P4PE, 10/100 eth1 <Ride to ride again>.

I really don't understand what you're trying to do. Can you explain more?

Yast is designed to install RPM type file packages not other distros. To install a distro go to their download page, down load the ISO you want. Burn to Disk and install. You will need sufficient free space on your disk(s) to hold the new partitions. You can then multi boot.

Alternately you can install a VM such as Virtual Disk or VMWare Server to run the other distro in a Virtual machine.

Does this answer your question???

Edit: rereading the question again. Do you want to see the files in the install or the files in a working image? You should be able to see the files in the iso just btowse into it. But that is not the same as a working copy. For that you would need to actually install the OS. I think then the best bet is to install into a VM.

Linux Newbie
    I can browse to here (and download for free-so I'm told)

iiFTP - Index of /linux/ubuntu/dists/

But how? I don't know how to select all files/which files and download them.
    Once I have the ISO I can create the DVD with k3b.
    is there a command I don't know- cntrl-something?
    Last edited by 44139; 12-03-2009 at 01:09 AM.
    2.6GHz Celeron, 1GB, 160GB, 128Mb SuSe11.2; PCTV, GBit eth0 on P4PE, 10/100 eth1 <Ride to ride again>.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by 44139 View Post
    I don't know how to select all files/which files and download them. Once I have the ISO I can create the DVD with k3b.
    If you want to install a distribution, you need the file that ends with the .iso extension unless you want to download it by torrent. As you say, once you have the iso file, you can burn it with a disk burner. Which iso file you need to download depends on which version of the distribution that you want to install. To download a file, click on the file in your web browser and then click "save as".

Edit: You've changed the link above since I started typing this, so I'm confused now as well. Either way, you'll need the iso file if you want to install a distribution.
    oz

Still not sure what you are wanting to do, but here is how to mount an iso

How to: Mount an ISO image under Linux

Once you mount it you can browse it like any other directory

Linux Newbie
    Sorted. Many thanks forum. 11.2 APPEARS to be more reasonable than 11.0 so far. Doesn't do much with unreadable CD's tho-no warning, no nuttin'. & the page slider is far too sensitive/over-ranging in Firefox.