Find the answer to your Linux question:
Please tell me what to expect on Suse11.2? I wanna use wifi,lan,my iPod Touch,torrents,openoffice. If your a mod or admin you may notice i did some "major" editing here Had ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Pros and Cons of OS 11.2 for a noob

Please tell me what to expect on Suse11.2?
    I wanna use wifi,lan,my iPod Touch,torrents,openoffice.

If your a mod or admin you may notice i did some "major" editing here

Had some initial issues but i overcame them. btw what is the beeping noise from my notebook (Acer 4730z)? When i was loading windows i heard a beeping noise, kinda like you hit a key for too long.

Wifi - depends on your card. Check with a Live CD. If it doesn't work out of the box, in all likelihood in can be made to work without too much effort. It generally helps ease the process tremendously if you have access to a wired connection.

Lan - very rare for a ethernet card not to work out of the box.

Torrents - there are many torrent apps for linux. I like transmission or rtorrent. Deluge or Ktorrent are also popular and very full featured. Vuze, formerly, Azureus is also available, but it's a bloated obnoxious piece of software in my opinion.

Openoffice - comes with the stock install.

The beeping noise is probably the pcspeaker. Don't know about Windows, but in linux you can mute the speaker or blacklist the speaker module.

Just Joined!
    The beeping noise was because my wife unplugged the notebook power cord and plugged up our camera charger.

Can anyone tell me why ff on suse is slow as a snail? Is there some critical update i need to install? I have my pw but need the root pw to install the updates

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Try disabling ipv6 in Firefox or system wide.

Disable IPv6 - openSUSE

installing updates is like any installation in most cases you need to be root. This is a security feature. Nothing gets installed without your permission.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by bocaccio View Post
    Please tell me what to expect on Suse11.2?
    I wanna use wifi,lan,my iPod Touch,torrents,openoffice.... btw what is the beeping noise from my notebook (Acer 4730z)? When i was loading windows i heard a beeping noise, kinda like you hit a key for too long.
    Used opensuse 11.2 for a while. Its really a solid release. Everything worked out-of-the-box (ofcourse for me on my Vostro laptop).

Use Yast control center for any adminstrator related jobs till you become comfortable with command line.