Find the answer to your Linux question:
hey there, I've been installed openSuse 11.2 on my laptop (dell 1510), but I don't know what's the problem, the wireless light is Off . it seems I couldn't use ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

dell 1510 laptop wireless card ?

hey there,
    I've been installed openSuse 11.2 on my laptop (dell 1510), but I don't know what's the problem, the wireless light is Off .
    it seems I couldn't use this wireless card for sharing my internet, any suggestion for this problem ?
    thanks .

Linux Guru
    I'm not sure what it is you are asking for. Does the wireless work? Did you configure the wireless card in YaST? Are you using the NetworkManager application to connect? NetworkManager can be accessed using the icon in the taskbar, usually next to the Date/Time.

Anyway, to offer any further help, we need more detailed information. Read the thread linked to below. It describes the info needed, and how to find it. The best method is to run the script in the second section of that thread.

Wireless Setup - Start Here
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!
    May you tell us what network card do you have first?

If the problem seems to be phisic problem try to turn it on from the keyboard.

If the problem is a driver problem you can fix it looking for it.

If your network card is broadcom bcmxxx you can use this driver.
    Broadcom.com - 802.11 Linux STA driver
    For atheros cards use the madwifi driver.
    MADWIFI | Get MADWIFI at SourceForge.net

At the end for other network cards if you still have problem use ndiwrapper, then copy the windows driver 32bit and install it on ndiswrapper.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by rojoblandino View Post
    If your network card is broadcom bcmxxx you can use this driver.
    Broadcom.com - 802.11 Linux STA driver
    For atheros cards use the madwifi driver.
    MADWIFI | Get MADWIFI at SourceForge.net

At the end for other network cards if you still have problem use ndiwrapper, then copy the windows driver 32bit and install it on ndiswrapper.
    There are Linux drivers available for other brands, besides those two. And the MadWifi driver is no longer being updated, as it has been replaced by the ath5k/ath9k family of drivers.

Also, please DO NOT INSTALL NDISWRAPPER, unless instructed to do so by a knowledgeable person!
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!
    Nice to know that about madwifi, thanks waterhead!

With ndiswrapper could be the last solution after try the other drivers, besides ndiswrapper does not give support for some network cards, do it is not always the right solution. That is why i said to use ndiswrapper if no support found in other drivers, something that is remote and wear.

Also list first with lspci and paste here the output of that command in order to know what network card you are using. Your problem may come from the leak of the right driver.

Without the lspci output of your system we can not help so much!