Find the answer to your Linux question:
Guys i have really lost my patience and now i want help from you guys . I recently installed python in SLES and now i get the below error when ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Python Error is SLES (No module name readline)

Guys i have really lost my patience and now i want help from you guys . I recently installed python in SLES and now i get the below error when running it. I have googled a lot for possible solution but no luck found. Please guys help me on this...

Code:
        The GCC team.
    Distribution: SUSE Linux Enterprise 11
    linux-ooix:~/Desktop # python3
    Python 3.1.1 (r311:74480, Dec  4 2009, 23:28:49) 
    [GCC 4.3.2 [gcc-4_3-branch revision 141291]] on linux2
    Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/etc/pythonstart", line 7, in <module>
        import readline
    ImportError: No module named readline
    Regards
    Fear_Matrix

Did you install the devel package. Looks like you are missing the headers. Python is interpreted so generally you don't need to compile it. How are you using it??

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Did you install the devel package. Looks like you are missing the headers. Python is interpreted so generally you don't need to compile it. How are you using it??
    I am using it simply typing python3 in the terminal and the i get the above mentioned error.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Ok I did not have 3 installed. Just installed it and both python (ver2 installed by default) and python3 appear to work here. Did you install it from Yast? But I'm also running OpenSuse 11.2 and am not running SLES. The error is odd because of the gcc reference.

Just Joined!
    Ok I did not have 3 installed. Just installed it and both python (ver2 installed by default) and python3 appear to work here. Did you install it from Yast? But I'm also running OpenSuse 11.2 and am not running SLES. The error is odd because of the gcc reference.
    Well YAST has not listed Python 3 so i have downloaded the software from python.org and installed it from the source code. Funny thing is that it is working perfectly on Red Hat.

Did you install a RPM or from source (ie .gz) ?

Setups are a bit different in the different distros so things get put in different locations. On the other hand if you are still at version 10 SLES it is possible that the newer Python may require a newer kernel. In any case the Novel distro is very conservative and and goes for stable rather then new and shinny.

So exactly what did you install??

Just Joined!
    Did you install a RPM or from source (ie .gz) ?

Setups are a bit different in the different distros so things get put in different locations. On the other hand if you are still at version 10 SLES it is possible that the newer Python may require a newer kernel. In any case the Novel distro is very conservative and and goes for stable rather then new and shinny.

So exactly what did you install??
    Firstly i am surprised that Novell has not included Readline Module in SLES 11 which is quite important for Python 3 to run stable.

Thanks for your help but the above solution did not resolved my issue. It seems that the readline module was missing in SLES 11 which is important for Python 3 to run stable. Anyways i have resolved this issue and i would like to share the solution with you guys :-

Solution

1 - I downloaded readline 5.2 from icewalkers website
    2 - Installed readline 5.2 by compiling it from the source code
    3 - Re-compiled Python 3 from the source code
    4 - I executed python 3 and everything is working smoothly without any error.

Regards
    Fear_Matrix

Good work.

My guess is that readln was not provided because python3 was not provided.

maybe you should contact Novell and let them know that python3 may be needed by their customers.