Find the answer to your Linux question:
11.2 with updates. Another user has deleted my default desktop window that had: My Computer, Office, Kmail and a few other things in it. How do I restore it, pls?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Question restore deleted thingy

11.2 with updates. Another user has deleted my default desktop window that had: My Computer, Office, Kmail and a few other things in it. How do I restore it, pls?
    2.6GHz Celeron, 1GB, 160GB, 128Mb SuSe11.2; PCTV, GBit eth0 on P4PE, 10/100 eth1 <Ride to ride again>.

Depends on how it was deleted. If from the GUI check the trash can. If it has not been deleted it is trivial to copy the files back to where they belong. If from the command line or the trash has been emptied there is no good way to recover 'all' the data. Since the OS will start reusing deleted sectors when a file is deleted if you wish to try for a best case recovery do not use the machine until you have attempted to recover the data.

Linux Data Recovery Software for Ext2 Ext3 Ext4 Volume Recovery - Stellar Phoenix

may help I have no direct experience with this software and simply googled for it.

In future do not give other users access to your account set up an account for them or even a guest account for occasional users. Do not give others the root password unless you have complete trust in them. Do not give group write permissions to your home directory. If there are others that may access the computer do not use auto-login. Use the password option in the screen saver to stop people from using your account credentials when you leave the machine. Better still logout if you leave the machine. By default there are only 2 accounts that can mess with "your" data. Your account and root.