Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

opensuse gets stuck on boot

I am running this inside of a xen vm. It installed properly until the reboot then gets stuck at "Loading drivers, configuring devices"

Going to failsafe mode gives me the message "SMBus base address uninitialised - upgrade bios or use force_addr=0xaddr" then hangs.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Geese

I have the same problem. I don't have a sollution, but i know a workaround...

To get past the "hanging" you can simple just ctrl+c in the console. The it will boot but all hardware isn't working properly, for instance network fail 9 out of 10 times for me. The enter YaST and search for a package which name contains "xen-kmp" and remove it. The you VM will boot properly. BUT your VM cannot be fully virtualized without that kernel module, so that's why i call it a workaround
    It seems to me that there is a bug in xen-kmp when initializing hardware, that causes the system to hang...

i had the same problem in opensuse 11.2 but i was able to get past it there by making shure that there was no cd/dvd assigned to the VM, but that doesn't seem to help in this case