Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

please help, anyway to reset or reinstall KDE

hi there
    I just switched to openSUSE from using some Debian based distubutions using, I am having a terrible problem.
    after spending the last couple days setting up the computer and figuring out how the SUSE package management works suddenly when I log into the computer the KDE environment is all messed up.....

the programs that were open last time the computer was on are still visible, and the desktop cube effect is even still in effect, I can pull the one program open into different workspaces, but everything else is black.
    There is no way to do anything.

I have tried fiddling around in the command line but I am not to familiar with a lot of the suse system tools.
    is there anyway, I can remove and then reinstall KDE4? (but still keep all my applications) I can't figure it out with the text only version of YAST.

having to reinstall would be an option, but only as a last resort.
    thanks everyone

forum.guy
    please help, anyway to reset or reinstall KDE
    Yes, you can delete or rename the hidden KDE configuration folder in your /home directory, then when you login again, the KDE configs should rebuild themselves giving you a fresh start with KDE. Renaming the old folder to something else should work for you:

Code:
    mv ~/.kde4 ~/.kde4-old
    oz

run

zypper lr -d

and post I expect you have too many repositories that may conflict

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I think the cause of the problem was related to plasma
    there was an error in the output of dmesg
    something like: plasma error segmentation fault 11

I decided it to install ubuntu, since i am still fairly new to linux and the Debian package system is what I learned on. openSUSE is great, but I just don't have time to learn all the ins and outs of a new package system right now.
    thanks for your help

forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by hillmort View Post
    I think the cause of the problem was related to plasma
    there was an error in the output of dmesg
    something like: plasma error segmentation fault 11
    Very well could be... KDE4 has been out for more than two years now, but plasma continues to be buggy in various instances. KDE is just now getting to the point where I can use it for more than a week or two, as I still find myself reverting to Gnome if plasma bugs become overly annoying.

It's still getting much better with each new release, though.
    oz