Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi... I'm thinking of trying out opensuse for a while. However, I'm used to Ubuntu so I'd like to know what the major differences are between the two distros. Hopefully, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Main differences between Opensuse and Ubuntu?

Hi... I'm thinking of trying out opensuse for a while. However, I'm used to Ubuntu so I'd like to know what the major differences are between the two distros. Hopefully, that will allow me to make a better comparison. I'm not talking about differences like "this is more 'polished' than that" or " this looks cooler than that".. I want to if there are differences in the file system... the software.. .and so on... thanks.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by mahela007 View Post
    Hi... I'm thinking of trying out opensuse for a while. However, I'm used to Ubuntu so I'd like to know what the major differences are between the two distros. Hopefully, that will allow me to make a better comparison. I'm not talking about differences like "this is more 'polished' than that" or " this looks cooler than that".. I want to if there are differences in the file system... the software.. .and so on... thanks.
    They use different packages (.deb for Ubuntu and .rpm for SuSE), SuSE has Yast as the main settings managing software.

The Linux kernel and GNU utilities make up what we call Linux. except for some minor version variation Ubuntu, Suse, Red Hat etc all are the same. Each distro will use pretty much it own installer and maintenance packages. There is some overlap. Under the surface the different distros are more alike then they are different.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    Yes, you should say all distros are LINUX.
    And all have the same linux commands.
    But distros can add some.

The kernel comes from our friend Linus Torvalds.
    And is in continual development by him.
    You can download them at The Linux Kernel Archives

But everyone can compile his own kernel to his own needs.
    And that's what most distros do.

Remember also that linux is a development of unix.
    But that is really heavy!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by linuxforever View Post
    Remember also that linux is a development of unix.
    Linux Is Not UniX, mate

mahela007 also note that Ubuntu has initially started as a completely free project (a fork from Debian) whereas SuSE Linux initially was although free (as in "freedom") but cost some money and OpenSuSE appeared only after it was bought by Novell, probably as a testing ground for their SuSE Enterprise Sever, just like Fedora is for RedHat...

Quote Originally Posted by saint_geser View Post
    Linux Is Not UniX, mate
    Actually, it's Gnu, Gnu is Not Unix

GNU+ Linux=GNU Linux
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Actually, it's Gnu, Gnu is Not Unix
    I know that. This is why I put a smiley face in the end.

Anyways Linux was developed on the base of Minix not Unix. Minix is UNIX-like OS but it's a different thing.

GNU+ Linux=GNU Linux
    Usually its GNU/Linux meaning "the GNU OS with Linux kernel" since Linux kernel is not the part of GNU project and GNU's own kernel Hurd is not ready yet and only the God knows when it will be.

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    The Linux kernel and GNU utilities make up what we call Linux. except for some minor version variation Ubuntu, Suse, Red Hat etc all are the same. Each distro will use pretty much it own installer and maintenance packages. There is some overlap. Under the surface the different distros are more alike then they are different.
    I think this thread has been derailed. The original poster's question is best answered by gogolthorp's post above. I'm going to leave the thread at that.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants