Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everyone! I've ran into some problems with ubuntu, tearing in videos and more. I wanna try opensuse and see what it feels like. I'm currently dualbooting ubuntu and win7, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Change between ubuntu and openSUSE and dualbooting with windows

Hi everyone!

I've ran into some problems with ubuntu, tearing in videos and more. I wanna try opensuse and see what it feels like.

I'm currently dualbooting ubuntu and win7, can I just delete the ubuntu partition and install opensuse? Will grub still be there to choose between opensuse and win7?

thnx in advance!

also, is it possible that video playback and overall speed will be better with openSUSE+KDE instead of ubuntu+gnome? What do you think ?

There is no way to know if your video experience will improve. Did you install the proprietary drivers for your video card? Which Video card??

You can install Suse to the same partition. Note however you might want to watch how Suse proposes partitions. By default it will want a separate partition for home. IMO Ubuntu's use of a single root partition is not good. It means you are going to lose all your personal data when you overwrite it installing Suse. If you are just playing and have no important data then just install. If you have importanst stuff in home then back it up.

Grub, Suse still uses grub but the newest Ubuntu uses grub2. So the current grub needs to be changed. You should not have to do anything. Just so you are aware.

Just Joined!
    Thnx man, I went ahead and installed openSUSE, and the dualboot still works.

I actually did experience less tearing in openSUSE, tho I didnt have any wireless connection, no sound and could only use a low resolution on my screen right of the bat, and I aint got the time to read through tons of text to fix it right now, so I might already be going back to ubuntu.

Also, the cause of the problem is actually the proprietary drivers, ubuntu and openSUSE standard drivers dosnt cause any tearing (it dose cause some sync problems with a vertical line in the middle of the screen in flash players tho, but that seems to be a REALLY common problem).

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Opensuse detects most hardware pretty good but doesn't necessarily activate it for you. Go through the listings in Yast -> Hardware to set up things that aren't working from install (e.g. sound). In most cases, it only involves clicking "Next" a few times.

It does this to avoid locking the computer up part way through an install. The logic is if you lock up the computer trying to activate hardware after the install is complete, you will not have to go through the install again, just reboot and try again, maybe with different options. It doesn't happen very much any more, but with most other distros when you do run into problem hardware, you have to boot into single mode and add the problem module to a blacklist. Considering hardware was working under Ubuntu, you will likely not have any such issues.