Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Well I've been going through last few days...And I found a bunch ofpackages such as java updates...And when I press to install it asks for DVD 1...I havent got a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Yast packages?

Well I've been going through last few days...And I found a bunch ofpackages such as java updates...And when I press to install it asks for DVD 1...I havent got a DVD...nor does my laptop take DVD's so I was just wondering sweather I'm doing something wrong? If so what's the correct thing to do?...Also this laptop has an in-build webcam....I was just wondering if there would be a package to install this in Yast since the laptop never detects it...Its a HP mini2133with SUSE linux 10...In case you couldnt tell im still a newbie to linux...this laptop is second hand aswell

Have you setup your repositories? If not you need to go in and uncheck the DVD one. How did you install. What it is asking for is the installation media.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Have you setup your repositories? If not you need to go in and uncheck the DVD one. How did you install. What it is asking for is the installation media.
    repositories? what are those? and well i og into yast i ticked the things i wanted and the pressed accept then it says "please wait while we install your packages" aat which point it asks fopr the dvd and i have to press abort

repositories are web sites where you get your newest packages and find software. You will see the setup right under Software management in Yast.

Just Joined!
    repositories are web sites where you get your newest packages and find software. You will see the setup right under Software management in Yast.
    Well...I don't know how to open yast...i can get into the software management which is yast 2

Oh wait a minute you are running Suse 10? That is the SLED version not OpenSuse. I'm not certain if that version is still supported. The current version of OpenSuse is 11.3. So you understand. Suse 10 version is the commercial version from Novell, OpenSuse is the free version . They have different support policies and use different repositories. The oldest version supported by OpenSuse is 11.0 at the moment. Also the screens in Yast are a bit different then in the commercial version. If the old user did not register the OS with Novell there may not be any remote repositories set up at all. Try going through the registration stuff. Again, should be in the Software menu in Yast

Now you have me confused. Yast Yast2 is the same thing. Should be in the menu from the desktop. Are you running it from the command line? I can't see over your shoulder. Need to say what you are doing.

Thinking back I think that the repositories are listed in Yast as installation source. But I never ran the commercial version and there can be little bits that are different.

Just Joined!
    Now you have me confused. Yast Yast2 is the same thing. Should be in the menu from the desktop. Are you running it from the command line? I can't see over your shoulder. Need to say what you are doing.
    firstly its not a desktop...secondly...no im not i typed in yast into nthe search box and the best i could find was the "software manager"

Linux Newbie
    Well, till version 10.2 suse was suse and had nothing to do with novell.
    Then novell took over suse and they released version 10.3.
    And that is the version that is still supported.
    However the suse 10.x were always free, and one could download them free, and install.
    But download sources for suse10.2 and prior are no longer available.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast