Find the answer to your Linux question:
Dear friends! I finally convinced my wife to remove Windows from her Acer Aspire 5680 and instead to use OpenSuse, but unfortunately I am having some major trouble for no ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Accessing the Package Management failed

Dear friends!

I finally convinced my wife to remove Windows from her Acer Aspire 5680 and instead to use OpenSuse, but unfortunately I am having some major trouble for no reason.

You see as soon as I installed the OS, I tried to add some new programs, like Thunderbird, etc but I keep getting an Accessing the Package Management failed error message. It says that it can't continue because process 9172 is blocking it. But I opened the System Monitor and can't find the **** 9172! My OpenSuse installation doesn't have this problem.

Does anybody know how to fix it? I can't install or update any software at all!

Cheers!

For you have updater installed and running? You might try running zypper from the command line. it might give you more information about which file is locked.

The package manager is in use by either the update program or you have another session of package manager running.

If I start the package manager, can't find the software I want, go to the Suse website to look for it, find a one-click install for it and click it, only I forget to close the package manager first, I get that error.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I ended the gpk-update process from the System monitor and it worked!
    Penguinclaw from opensuse forums gave me the tip.

Thanks guys!