Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi..I want to know the exact place for software so that all user can have access it ..e.g I have installed wine as root user...I have also installed utorrent and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question want to know exact place for softwares so that all user can have access it

hi..I want to know the exact place for software so that all user can have access it ..e.g I have installed wine as root user...I have also installed utorrent and use it as root user...when I changed user I cannot access utorrent....to use it I have to copy it from root user...so I want to know where should I place the software,in this case, utorrent,so that besides root,all user can have access it without difficulty....kindly help me in this regards

Some where on the PATH. /bin is a good place. If you install by Yast it will normally be placed in a common area. To see your current PATH type $PATH at the CL.

gogal, this person is talking about software installed through wine, which is typically on a per user basis as it installs into ~/.wine

in any case, there are many bit torrent applications for linux, you do not need to use wine and install utorrent, have you tried transmission, ktorrent, qttorrent, or anything else?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Sorry forgot that utorrent was Windows.

Just Joined!
    i have managed to install wine in opensuse 11.1 and i have installed as root user...it is working fine...but when i change user i cannot access it...i have to copy utorrent.exe from root desktop and place it the user's desktop..i also have to change the permission ...i want to know if there is anyway so that i can use this application from any users wihout copying it from root users place....i tried with transmission..but its download rate is very slow that utorrent...kindly help me

download rate is only slower if you don't configure application properly, you should make sure DHT and PEX is enabled

there is no way to get around moving things like that with wine, that is the way wine was designed to work

run winecfg from the user account to install wine for that user. each user sets up their own wine environment. ie each user get his/her own C drive emulation

Also you will get better performance from a native torrent client like ktorrent.