Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, Iv setup a postfix mail server.. and setup my MX records within DNS. I configured the posfix mail server with the Mail accounts. I sent the accounts a test ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Cannot POP postfix Mail server

Hi,
    Iv setup a postfix mail server.. and setup my MX records within DNS.
    I configured the posfix mail server with the Mail accounts.

I sent the accounts a test message. They end up in the Maildir for the user. But for some reason i cannot POP the mail server from a client. I can telnet to the SMTP server.. But cannot telnet to the POP3. Iv opened the ports in the firewall correctly. and even tried disabling the Firewall but when i try to Telnet to port 110 or POP port 110 i get an error saying "connection refused"

Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Kyle

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by kpendergraft View Post
    I can telnet to the SMTP server.. But cannot telnet to the POP3. Iv opened the ports in the firewall correctly. and even tried disabling the Firewall but when i try to Telnet to port 110 or POP port 110 i get an error saying "connection refused"
    Probably because there is no process listening on port 110. You can check this by looking at the netstat command.

Postfix itself does not provide POP services. You need to add a POP daemon. Google has plenty of examples like this one.