Find the answer to your Linux question:
I posted a similar question on the Suse Forum, but when I first posted, I didn't realize that the sound problem extended beyond one app. Therefore, the help that I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

No Sound From Apps In SuSe 11.2

I posted a similar question on the Suse Forum, but when I first posted, I didn't realize that the sound problem extended beyond one app. Therefore, the help that I did get went in the wrong direction, and the person helping left me hanging with a bunch of unresolved issues regarding updates from Packman.

Yet, that is not my question here. I simply want to be able to produce sound from apps such as Amarok, Kaffeine, Totem, etc. When I went to the sound section of YaSt, it does show that my sound card (Audigy 2 ZS) is configured, and when pressing the test button, it does produce a tune to indicate that it works, but obviously, there is something somewhere that isn't right. How do I find out where, and how do I fix it?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    You need to install the multimedia codecs
    Oddly, that is exactly the direction that the person that responded to my question on the other forum took, but after doing so, he/she couldn't or wouldn't take the time to help me resolve the pending issues, because when going to YaST>Software Management>Repositories, and selecting Packman, there was a link at the top of the window which produced another window listing nearly 800 actions possible. These actions made it appear that many of these were due to the fact that the packages downloaded from Packman were older than those installed by SuSe during installation, and initial online system patch update.

When that person (forum administrator) knew that the lack of sound effected all apps, even including browser sound (Opera playing Hulu), he/she said to post the question again, because he/she believed that the problem went deeper than the multimedia update mentioned.

I just finished running alsaconf, and it appears that it doesn't recognize the sound card installed. I attempted to use the manage button, but that produced a window that would have totally removed all sound devices, except something called Pulse audio...what ever that is?

Maybe this is due to the pending Packman packages, but the sound did not work before downloading and installing those packages either.

As I said in the OP, this issue seems to be due to basic sound card configuration or driver installation.

It's not odd at all it is the way you install multimedia packages to supply the proprietary codecs.

I'm confused. You don't install all the packages in packman there is maybe 10 that are needed. Are you following the instructions on the linked page.

try this be sure the packman repo is installed and active.

Ok so we are on the same page. are we speaking of KDE or Gnome. The above procedures are the same for both but there is some difference in the sound system

Is your user a member of the audio group?

Just Joined!
    Sorry, but I got so flustrated by this issue that I uninstalled the OS altogether. I'm still interested in this issue, because I would reinstall it, if I knew how to make this work, but after doing some Googling, I found that there is a common problem with this version configuring proper sound with my Audigy 2 ZS sound card. Apparently, it default to SPDIF via Pulse Audio, instead of analog, as I use. I attempted to fix this via instructions on a page that I found, but it seemed that whatever I tried, alsa would not recognize my sound card, even though YaST did. Unless I can find a clear, simple method to correct this, it isn't worth the hassle...too many Linux distros available that do not have this problem.

It happens. Pulse is still very buggy. If you use KDE in Suse it does not use pulse by default. That is why I asked about which desktop, Pulse is more tied to Gnome. You can also get updated alsa packages.

Also you never said if you had a second sound device. If so I wonder what order they are defined? Makes a difference.

Any how good luck.