Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi, Ive just purchased an IBM thinkpad, I want to run Linux on it. I kow very lttle about Linux so im buying Liux for ummies to help get me ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Big SUSE questions

Hi, Ive just purchased an IBM thinkpad, I want to run Linux on it. I kow very lttle about Linux so im buying Liux for ummies to help get me started. I have seen a mate using SUSE and it looked cool. But im also wondering about Ubuntoo which seems to be verywhere. Is SUSE as god as Ubuntoo ?

Also can I send away to obtain the SUSE disk ? Im into photography so im hoping SUSE comes with some kind of program like photoshop.
    Last edited by devils casper; 03-14-2010 at 05:51 PM. Reason: removed formatting tags

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Epicleptic View Post
    Also can I send away to obtain the SUSE disk ? Im into photography so im hoping SUSE comes with some kind of program like photoshop.
    Some like Ubuntu better and some like OpenSUSE better, so it's really a matter of personal choice. You should try both and decide for yourself.

You can purchase OpenSUSE installation disks online from various Linux CD/DVD vendors. They can be found with some google searching, or you can freely download the ISO files from the OpenSUSE website and then burn them to disk.

The closest native Linux application to PhotoShop for Windows would probably be GIMP.
    oz

Just Joined!
    thanks, and i think gimp will do the trick. The version im abvout to buy is SUSE 11.2

not bad for only $5.95. BTW, i looked up a list of most distros, can i ask...why did you choose SUSE

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Epicleptic View Post
    thanks, and i think gimp will do the trick. The version im abvout to buy is SUSE 11.2

not bad for only $5.95. BTW, i looked up a list of most distros, can i ask...why did you choose SUSE
    I don't currently use OpenSUSE, although I've run it and most other distros a number of times in the past.

Hope you'll have fun with it!
    oz

LiveCDs are available for most of Linux distros and all LiveCDs have Install option too.
    I would suggest you to try LiveCDs of a few distros before installing any to Hard disk. LiveCDs are not more that 700MB in size. Just download .iso image, burn Image to CD and boot up from it.

Nobody can tell you which distro is best for you. You have to decide yourself. Check this Poll too.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    cAN YOU ADVISE OF A GOOD lINUX BOOK FOR A BEGINNER. dOES THE FACT IM GOING TO BE USING SUSE 11 HAVE ANY BEARING ON WHICH IS THE BEST BOOK ? OR A VERY GOOD BOOK ?

Just Joined!
    ok, that makes good sense, though i just want to understand the very basics like the file system, how to install or delete programs and drivers etc. Plus i hate reading on screen, my eyes dont focus well on a screen.
    Still if you cant recommend anything ill try the online books.

oz
    forum.guy
    For OpenSUSE, you could take a look at OpenSUSE Linux Unleashed:

Amazon.com: openSUSE Linux Unleashed (9780672329456): Michael McCallister: Books

You might be able to find a better deal elsewhere with some online searching.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Thanks OZAR, I was just looking at that book on amazon.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast