Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Why combine them? One for root and one for home. I'm a little surprised at the 2. Ubuntu defaults to combining root and home. So maybe something else is going ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Why combine them? One for root and one for home.
    I'm a little surprised at the 2. Ubuntu defaults to combining root and home. So maybe something else is going on???

Just Joined!
    I confess the drives are in a bit of a mess,mainly due to Win98 I fear, but while it runs I leave well alone.I have already explained why I still use it in an earlier post .I need it to access Elements 1 and PSP8 which I need to edit and print my art.I may be able to replace there functionality with gimp though.

the results of the cat /etc/fstab are here:-

ilbo@ubuntu:~$ cat/etc/fstab
    bash: cat/etc/fstab: No such file or directory
    bilbo@ubuntu:~$ cat /etc/fstab
    # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    # <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    /host/ubuntu/disks/root.disk / ext3 loop,errors=remount-ro 0 1
    /host/ubuntu/disks/boot /boot none bind 0 0
    /host/ubuntu/disks/usr.disk /usr ext3 loop 0 2
    /host/ubuntu/disks/swap.disk none swap loop,sw 0 0
    bilbo@ubuntu:~$

Did you install Kubuntu using Wubi?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Sorry,
    I have forgotten but I do remember the term wubi being encountered in my efforts with linux so the answer is ---MAYBE!.

WILT

My suspicion is that you installed using Wubi, which would explain some of the weirdness of what happened when you installed opensuse in a normal dual boot fashion. I've never used Wubi, so I'm not familiar with it, but it allows you to install Ubuntu inside of Windows.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide

I don't believe OpenSuse has anything similar, so you would need to do a true dual boot setup for that.

Here is a good guide to dual booting. They use Ubuntu 8.04, but the principle is the same for any distro.
    How to dual boot Linux and Windows XP (Linux installed first) -- the step-by-step guide with screenshots

Just Joined!
    I think you are right,

on scouring the hard drives i came across a Wubi folder. It contained an uninstall procedure for Kubuntu ,so I did it and sure enough my boot options nowonly show win98 and Xp.So does this mean I can just install Open-Suse and it will come up as a boot option?

WILT
    Last edited by oz; 04-07-2010 at 11:39 PM. Reason: spam removal

It should........

Just Joined!
    Well,

Yet again, the curse has struck.I tried to install Suse from the installation disk and it seemed all very logical but when I rebooted I could not select windows and
    had to revert to making the primary partition of the c: drive active.but now Ive lost windows 98.If I select it I get another selection screen and if i then choose windows I get a locked computer. UGH !
    I am typing this Via XP which thankfully still works.(from the c:disk selection screen)

Is there a method by which I can remove all existing linux partitions and start from scratch (there are obviously bits and pieces of conflicting software versions on here )

WILT

Just Joined!
    Apologies to Mr. Moderator . I post on art and photography forums where its commonplace to add your web address. I wont do it again on here!. Thanks for removing it for me and letting the post show.

WILT

To be honest your partitions are in a total mess. If it were me I'd backup my important data and wipe the whole thing and reinstall things properly.

Try booting from the install media and select boot from hard drive.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast